function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Alex ThompsonAlex Thompson 

Transfer or Import Old Apple Mail Database files in Outlook 2016 for Windows PC

Hello everyone,

I have some old apple mail email database files on my hard drive. I switched from apple to windows a couple of years ago and am very happy with Outlook's performance. But something has come up that requires me to go through the old email files that I used to run on Apple Mail. Luckily I have saved them on my hard drive and now I cannot find a way to transfer or import these apple mail database files in Outlook 2016 for windows pc which I am using right now. Please help me find a way to do so.

I am sorry if this question is being asked again as I have come across such situation for the first time. Hoping to find a positive solution here. Thanks
Best Answer chosen by Alex Thompson
George KempGeorge Kemp
I see that you are trying to import Apple Mail files into Windows Outlook 2016. See we cannot import or transfer the files directly from one email client to the other until and unless the file format used for both the email clients are the same. The apple mail archives its files in .mbox format whereas outlook for windows does it with .PST format. So we will have to convert the file format in order to import the files from apple mail to outlook 2016 for windows. In your case, we will have to convert .mbox files into .pst files as you have already mentioned that these files are on your hard drive not in your apple mail email client. If these files were on the server then you could have simply logged in outlook 2016 for windows with the same email id and your emails would have been downloaded in outlook 2016 for windows. 

So you would require a converter to convert .mbox files into .pst. Searching on the internet I found this application that is capable of doing it, please have a look and give a try to the trial version and see if it works fine. Rest is your decision to make.

http://applemailtopst.com/how-to-convert-apple-mail-database-to-pst-directly-on-mac/

I hope this helps you. Thanks

All Answers

NagendraNagendra (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Alex,

Sorry for this issue you are encountering.

You try to transfer data from Microsoft Outlook 2016 for Mac or Outlook for Mac 2011, such as email and contacts, to Microsoft Outlook for Windows. To do this, you try to import the .olm file that was exported from Outlook for Mac. However, you receive the following error in Outlook for Windows:

The file <path>.olm is not an Outlook data file (.pst).

More Information:

Microsoft Outlook for Windows does not support .olm data files. However, there are several methods that you can use to transfer data from Outlook for Mac to a Windows-based Outlook client. These methods require that you use Microsoft Exchange Server.

Synchronize data with Microsoft Exchange Server:

If the data is available in a mailbox that is located on an Exchange Server, the Outlook for Windows client can access the data. To do this, the Windows client connects to the Exchange Server by using either Cached Exchange Mode or Online mode.

Export data from Microsoft Exchange to an Outlook data (.pst) file:

Use the Export-Mailbox shell cmdlet from Microsoft Exchange PowerShell to export mailbox data to an Outlook data (.pst) file. For more information about the Export-Mailbox shell cmdlet, visit the following Microsoft websites: 

Exporting Mailbox Data
  • http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633455.aspx#Exp

How to Export and Import mailboxes to PST
  • http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2007/04/13/3401913.aspx
Note Currently, Microsoft does not have a utility to convert a .olm file to a .pst file.

Please let us know if the information was helpful.

Thanks,
Nagendra
George KempGeorge Kemp
I see that you are trying to import Apple Mail files into Windows Outlook 2016. See we cannot import or transfer the files directly from one email client to the other until and unless the file format used for both the email clients are the same. The apple mail archives its files in .mbox format whereas outlook for windows does it with .PST format. So we will have to convert the file format in order to import the files from apple mail to outlook 2016 for windows. In your case, we will have to convert .mbox files into .pst files as you have already mentioned that these files are on your hard drive not in your apple mail email client. If these files were on the server then you could have simply logged in outlook 2016 for windows with the same email id and your emails would have been downloaded in outlook 2016 for windows. 

So you would require a converter to convert .mbox files into .pst. Searching on the internet I found this application that is capable of doing it, please have a look and give a try to the trial version and see if it works fine. Rest is your decision to make.

http://applemailtopst.com/how-to-convert-apple-mail-database-to-pst-directly-on-mac/

I hope this helps you. Thanks
This was selected as the best answer
Alex ThompsonAlex Thompson
Thank you, George, for that in-depth explanation. I downloaded the Apple Mail to Pst converter's trial version and tested it. It runs smoothly and does the job perfectly. Thanks for providing the accurate solution to my problem.
john cena 11john cena 11
I found one more solution for Importing Old Apple Mail Database files into Outlook 2016  https://www.gaintools.com/mbox/pst/

olivia queenolivia queen
Read this blog and learn how to migrate your Apple Mail Data into Outlook for windows. 
http://www.convertmbox2pst.com/blog/migrate-apple-mail-to-outlook-2016/
Eva JamesEva James
If you are looking for the best solution then you must try MBOX Converter software which provides fast migration procedure of MBOX emails to PST, PDF, MSG, EML , NSF and etc. format in both single and bulk mode at one time without any difficulty.

kylie jones 13kylie jones 13
Download OLM to PST Converter software to convert Mac Outlook OLM file in Outlook PST and in some more other files such as emails in the Inbox, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, Notes, etc format convert into EML, MSG, and MBOX. OLM to PST tool gives a free demo version tool. Visit here:- Download OLM to PST Converter Full Version