function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Brian Franklin 12Brian Franklin 12 

Can non-developer accounts use a Connected App created under a developer account?

We have created a Connected App in our developer account.  Other developer accounts can connect to it and use it.

Trial accounts can connect to it, but don't by default have API access.

Will Professional users with API access, Enterprise, and Unlimited users be able to use the Connected App specified in our developer account, or do we need to have a paid Salesforce account in which to re-create the Connected App for "production" use?
Best Answer chosen by Brian Franklin 12
jigarshahjigarshah
Brian,

A connected app is an application that helps an external entity or application connect to Salesforce.com and get access to the data residing within. Connected Apps use OAuth 2.0 as the authentication protocol to authenticate any user or application and provide them with access ot the instance.

To answer your question, YES your Salesforce users from other orgs will be able to access and use the Connected App setup in your Developer Edition Salesforce Org without incurring any additional license cost. A simple analogy to understand this would be to look at Salesforce as a castle which has entry gates called Connected Apps. As long as you are authenticated and allowed through the gates, you have access to the castle.

Your Salesforce users will be using a single set of credentials to access the Salesforce.com instance where the Connected App is setup. Hence, irrespective of the number of Salesforce Users accessing the Connected App, they would still map to a single User account on the target org which can be accessed via the Connected App.You do not need a paid license to access a Connected App specifically as long as you have enough Salesforce User licenses and have the right access configured.

However, I am curious why would you want your Production Salesforce Users access information from a Developer Edition org. Is it a part of a proof of concept that you are implementing?

Please mark the thread as SOLVED and answer as the BEST ANSWER if it helps address your issue.

All Answers

jigarshahjigarshah
Brian,

A connected app is an application that helps an external entity or application connect to Salesforce.com and get access to the data residing within. Connected Apps use OAuth 2.0 as the authentication protocol to authenticate any user or application and provide them with access ot the instance.

To answer your question, YES your Salesforce users from other orgs will be able to access and use the Connected App setup in your Developer Edition Salesforce Org without incurring any additional license cost. A simple analogy to understand this would be to look at Salesforce as a castle which has entry gates called Connected Apps. As long as you are authenticated and allowed through the gates, you have access to the castle.

Your Salesforce users will be using a single set of credentials to access the Salesforce.com instance where the Connected App is setup. Hence, irrespective of the number of Salesforce Users accessing the Connected App, they would still map to a single User account on the target org which can be accessed via the Connected App.You do not need a paid license to access a Connected App specifically as long as you have enough Salesforce User licenses and have the right access configured.

However, I am curious why would you want your Production Salesforce Users access information from a Developer Edition org. Is it a part of a proof of concept that you are implementing?

Please mark the thread as SOLVED and answer as the BEST ANSWER if it helps address your issue.
This was selected as the best answer
Brian Franklin 12Brian Franklin 12
Thank you for the prompt reply.  At this stage, I guess you could consider it a proof of concept, or at least a beta implementation.

I believe based on the documentation for Connected App distribution, you would think of us as taking the ISV approach.  The Connected App is not for our own internal use.  We provide a SaaS application that lets users who have signed up for our service connect to their own Salesforce accounts in order to synchronize Contacts.  So, we have a developer SF account with a Connected App, and our users have their own SF accounts at various edition levels.  They click a button to connect their account with us to their SF account, and we initiate the OAuth process.

I wanted to make sure that connecting to our Connected App that was created under our developer account will work for our users who might have a Professional, Enterprise, or Unlimited SF account of their own -- put another way, to make sure that the developer and non-developer environments weren't completed isolated from one another.  We don't have an account at that level at the moment to test with, and I have found no clear documentation to rule it in or out (thus why I'm asking here).

I suppose a follow-up question would be whether, in this scenario, even if it works with the app defined under our developer account, are there are any limitations or advantages to be aware of where it would warrant re-creating the connected app in a non-developer account?

jigarshahjigarshah
Brian,

The Developer Edition Salesforce orgs are orgs that have all the Salesforce functionality available or can be actiavted if they are additional features.

The following link provides a detailed comparison in terms of available features and limitations of Salesforce Dev Edtion orgs in comparison to other Editions - https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=limits_general.htm&type=0

So cutting the story short I don't see you running into limits especially from an access perspective unless your implementation is trying to violate limitations listed in the article below.

Hope that helps.
Alex Horn 7Alex Horn 7
Thank you for your response. You have been very helpful to me.

Regards, Head of Development betting-experts.com (https://betting-experts.com/)