function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ido Greenbaum 10Ido Greenbaum 10 

Custom Email Template - conditional output including merge field

I am trying to include a conditional logic in my custom Email Template, which includes merge fields.
When I include the following formula in my template:
<br />• Case #: {!IF(Case.RecordType ="Enterprise", {!Case.CaseNumber}, "not enterprise")}

The output in my email template looks as follows:
Case #: , "not enterprise")}

And when I edit the Email Template again, I can see that my code had changed to the following:
<br />• Case #: {!NullValue(IF(Case.RecordType ="Enterprise", "{!Case.CaseNumber")}, "not enterprise")}

Why is that?
Best Answer chosen by Ido Greenbaum 10
Alain CabonAlain Cabon
Hi,
  • You can use both " and ' (double and simple quotes) in a formula.
  • The concatenation is done with the operator &
  • if the expression is enclosed with simple quotes, use double quotes inside the enclosed expression (and vice-versa)
https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=customize_functions_a_h.htm&language=en&type=0

Given these three rules, you can write any expression as you want:

{!IF (Case.RecordType="Enterprise", Case.CaseNumber,
'<a href="https://portal.my-company.com/' & Case.CaseId18__c & '"  target="_blank">' & Case.CaseNumber & "," & Case.Subject & "</a>"  ) }

Best regards
Alain

All Answers

Alain CabonAlain Cabon
Hi,

Your problem is probably solved yet but you don't need to reuse {! } in the body of a formula.

<br />• Case #: {!IF(Case.RecordType ="Enterprise",Case.CaseNumber, "not enterprise")}
  1. {!Case.RecordType} and {!Case.CaseNumber}: you can verify the value of the recordtype alone (outside the formula) inside your emain template. Is it well resolved? exact value "Enterprise" ?  Sometimes we have to use : 
  2. What kind of email template is it ? 
User-added image

Custom (without using Lettherhead) ?

Regards
Alain

Alain CabonAlain Cabon
You can verify the value of the recordtype alone (outside the formula) inside your email template.
Is it well resolved? exact value "Enterprise" ?  Sometimes we have to use other values for the recordtypes.
(typos)
Regards
Thank you for the assistsance Alain. 

It appears that the merge field is working properly as you've guided: 
<br />• Case #: {!IF(Case.RecordType ="Enterprise",Case.CaseNumber, "not enterprise")}

I have a follow up question - how can I pass an HTML 'href' element as an argument in the formula? I am trying the following without any luck:
{!IF
(Case.RecordType="Enterprise", Case.CaseNumber, 
 (<a href="https://portal.my-company.com/Case.CaseId18__c" target="_blank">Case.CaseNumber, Case.Subject</a>
  )
 )
}

Alain CabonAlain Cabon
Hi,
  • You can use both " and ' (double and simple quotes) in a formula.
  • The concatenation is done with the operator &
  • if the expression is enclosed with simple quotes, use double quotes inside the enclosed expression (and vice-versa)
https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=customize_functions_a_h.htm&language=en&type=0

Given these three rules, you can write any expression as you want:

{!IF (Case.RecordType="Enterprise", Case.CaseNumber,
'<a href="https://portal.my-company.com/' & Case.CaseId18__c & '"  target="_blank">' & Case.CaseNumber & "," & Case.Subject & "</a>"  ) }

Best regards
Alain
This was selected as the best answer
Thank you Alain. Works perfectly.
Ben Rosenthal 3Ben Rosenthal 3
I'm trying to do something similar in a custom email template. We want to conditionally include a notification in daily emails to service volunteers if their driver's license has expired or will expire soon.

Neither of the formulas below is printing any output. Drivers_License_Expiration__c is a Date field. DriversLicenseExpired__c is a formula (text) field that compares the former to TODAY() and either reads "Expired" or "Active."

License Status: {! IF( DriversLicenseExpired__c = "Expired", "Your driver’s license has expired. Please make sure to renew and contact us with the new expiration date.", "Your driver’s license is still valid." )}

License Status: {! IF( TODAY() > Drivers_License_Expiration__c , "Your driver’s license has expired. Please make sure to renew and contact us with the new expiration date.", "Your driver’s license is still valid." )}

What am I missing?
Alo SenAlo Sen
Try adding the Object Name.Drivers_License_Expiration__c.
Priya ParabPriya Parab
I am trying to concatenate merge field with Text in IF condition
e.g. {!IF(ISPICKVAL(Opportunity.Sales_Channel__c,"Inbound Web"),'To continue your order login to your online account','You can call our Customer Service Team to continue your order, all you need is your reference number : '&Opportunity.Id)}
But the text isn't displaying if I use .&Opportunity.Id. Without &Opportunity.Id the text is displaying correctly.
Can any one help me out in this.
Jade Fischer 24Jade Fischer 24
We had this same issue and could only find 1 source with the correct answer.  You need to concatenate the string for it to work.  The IF function will not recongnize the merge fields.  This needs a Salesforce Idea created for this because it isn't very intuitive.  Here is an example:

{!IF(Account.Name == 'John Doe','<a href=" ' & Account.Link & ' ">Account Record</a>','')}

The merge field is the Account.Link and you don't use the {!SomeObject.field} format that you usual copy from the field merge field search box above you just need to use dot notation.