function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Hermes GomezHermes Gomez 

Setting up an Email Alert thru a Worklflow

Hi Guys, 

Im fairly new and looking to setup some things.

I want to configure an Email Alert when a Picklist field has been sitting on a value for more than a number of specified days. 

For example, i have a picklist field called "stage". i want the record owner to be notified thru email when the stage is at the "quoting" value for more than 2 days. 

Reading here i know i have to set up a workflow, im trying to make a formula but i dont find a way to come up with the right syntax. 
Here is what i come up with so far:

Stage(TEXT(Quoting)) && TODAY - DATEVALUE(LastModifiedDate)>= 2

Please HELP

Best Answer chosen by Hermes Gomez
Akhil AnilAkhil Anil
Hi Hermes,

So to achieve this you don't have to consider the date factor in your criteria. Instead you will have to fire that as a time-triggered action. The formula for your entry criteria would be simply this.

TEXT(Stage) = "Quoting"

Now you will have to setup the email alert in the workflow such that it will fire as time triggered actions - 2 days after the rule trigger date. Now let me explain how this works. gSo when a user changes the stage of a record to "Quoting", the workflow will be fired, however the email alert won't fire since that has been scheduled to fire 2 days after the workflow fired according to the time-triggered action. Salesforce will put this email alert action in a queue to be executed after 2 days. Now within the next 2 days if the Stage is changed to something else, then the email alert action in the queue will not be fired because it no longer meets the criteria of the workflow. On the other hand if the status remains unchanged, the email alert will be fired after 2 days.

Hope that makes sense.

Kindly mark it as an answer if that answers your query !

All Answers

Akhil AnilAkhil Anil
Hi Hermes,

So to achieve this you don't have to consider the date factor in your criteria. Instead you will have to fire that as a time-triggered action. The formula for your entry criteria would be simply this.

TEXT(Stage) = "Quoting"

Now you will have to setup the email alert in the workflow such that it will fire as time triggered actions - 2 days after the rule trigger date. Now let me explain how this works. gSo when a user changes the stage of a record to "Quoting", the workflow will be fired, however the email alert won't fire since that has been scheduled to fire 2 days after the workflow fired according to the time-triggered action. Salesforce will put this email alert action in a queue to be executed after 2 days. Now within the next 2 days if the Stage is changed to something else, then the email alert action in the queue will not be fired because it no longer meets the criteria of the workflow. On the other hand if the status remains unchanged, the email alert will be fired after 2 days.

Hope that makes sense.

Kindly mark it as an answer if that answers your query !
This was selected as the best answer
Hermes GomezHermes Gomez
Now i got as far as setting the time-triggered action. Now the email alert i realized have to make a template. how do i set up a template to provide the LINK of the actual record that fired the action?
Akhil AnilAkhil Anil
Hi Hermes,

You can go to Setup > Email templates and create your template here. To get the link to your record in the template you need to use the merge field in the template editor. There would be a field called as Detail link in each object. You just need to copy paste that field in your template as seen below

User-added image