function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jason NiebauerJason Niebauer 

Wave Challenge Point Discrepancies

A recent update to Trailhead has boosted challenge points from 100 to 500 for both the Wave Analytics Basics > Start Exploring Wave Analytics and the Wave Desktop Exploration > Become a Data Explorer challenge. Unfortunately, for users who had completed these modules prior to the point change they received no upgrade in their awarded points, which opts them out of a total of 900 points that other users will be able to receive for completing the same challenges.

I initially reported this discepancy to trailhead@salesforce.com and received a response that the issue has been resolved. Well, no – this issue has not been resolved for myself and I assume all other users who had completed the challenges prior to the update. Even after attempting to validate the challenges again, I still receive the same outcome of no additional points awarded. I've attached a screenshot below to show the discrepancy.
Wave challenge point discrepancy

I really hope the Trailhead team can resolve this issue :)
Dana HallDana Hall

Hi Jason, I've answered you on Twitter but I will also answer here as well in case anyone else finds themself in a similar situation! Posterity!  

You are correct that we recently boosted the challenge points from 100 to 500 for these units. We did this because the challenges have changed from multiple choice questions (MCQs) to a more rigorous hands-on challenge. Our increase in points is to reflect the value and rigor of the challenge. It appears that you complete the challenge prior to this switch and received the appropriate 100 points for a MCQ.

We are not automatically upgrading awarded points to Trailblazers who completed the MCQ challenge as because...well...they haven't done the new challenge yet! You can retake the new hands-on challenge and if everything is working as planned you will receive the extra 400 points.

I appreciate that you have a love of Trailblazer points, that means our motivational techniques are working! Now go out and earn them! 

Hi Dana, I appreciate the quick reply.

The Start Exploring Wave Analytics module challenge is simply asking the user to sign up for a Wave dev org. Done – not once, not twice, but three times now. Attempted to validate against the newly created Wave dev orgs, but the discrepency in points remains.

I just went through the Become a Data Explorer module challenge to complete the hands-on challenge as you mentioned. Please see the screenshot below for the completed challenge. I attempted to validate against this Wave dev org, but discrepancy in points remains.
User-added image

I hope this helps resolve the issue.
Hi Dana, I was curious if Trailhead team has been able to identify and resolve the issue here?