function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
coolkrishcoolkrish 

time dependent workflow actions

Hi,

I am trying to create a time dependent workflow action to send an email to the creator after one hour if the status remains "In progress"
I see the entry in the monitoring queue but nothing is happening after the "Scheduled Date"

WF evaluation criteria is "Created"

Thanks,
Krishna.
Best Answer chosen by coolkrish
@GM@GM
Krishna,

If the status is updated to 'Submitted' before 2nd email scheduled date(2 hours) then it should remove the entry in the time based WF queue since it wont met the WF criteria.

Regards,
GM

All Answers

@GM@GM
Hi Krishna,

The WF will fire the email alert as you defined untill unless the record status is changed from "In progress" to some other status before the scheduled time(1 hour after creation).

Check your email alert. Also, make sure that the field which choosed to make 1 hour after creation in time dependent WF should be of type DateTime.

If its still not working, provide the screenshot for more debugging.

Regards,
GM

coolkrishcoolkrish
Thanks for your reply GM.

I am trying to replicate this solution.
Do you see anything unobvious in this?

https://force-base.com/2016/11/13/power-of-point-click-series-2-learn-how-to-set-up-recurring-time-based-workflows-in-salesforce/comment-page-1/#comment-182
@GM@GM
Hi Krishna,

The TODAY() function is used in the custom field and same custom field is used in time based WF to difine criteria to have mail after 1 day in the above article.This works in case of dealing with days since TODAY() function returns Date format not DateTime Format.

But if you want to deal with minutes or hours then you shoud use NOW() function in custom field and use same custom field to define crieria in time based WF. Does it make sence ?

Regards,
GM

coolkrishcoolkrish
Hi GM,

Thanks for your update.
I am good with stamping TODAY() for daily mails and NOW() for hourly mails.
Here the issue I am facing is WF 2 is not firing iteratively\recursively after the first time based action.

If the first time based action triggers the same workflow, then it will be like falls in a loop but it is not happening.

Hope you got my point.

Thanks,
Krishna.
@GM@GM
Krishna,

I didn't understand the meaning of "iteratively\recursively" in the below statement.
Here the issue I am facing is WF 2 is not firing iteratively\recursively after the first time based action.

As soon as records met the WF condition (status is pending & triggerDate is Now()/Today()) then it will goes to time based queue & WF will fire the email alert at the scheduled date. If the record got modified & does not met the WF condition before scheduled date then it will get eliminate from the time based WF queue hence no email alert happens.

Please let me know in case if you facing issue in time based WF. 

Regards,
Ghanalingamurthy.
coolkrishcoolkrish
GM, I created a WF (criteria as Status=In Progress) with two time based actions, emails one after one hour and another after two hours.Two actions went into queue.After the first hour, email was sent and entry removed from queue.

Now, I changed the status to Submitted.But still the second entry in the queue sent the email.
@GM@GM
Krishna,

If the status is updated to 'Submitted' before 2nd email scheduled date(2 hours) then it should remove the entry in the time based WF queue since it wont met the WF criteria.

Regards,
GM

This was selected as the best answer
coolkrishcoolkrish
Hi GM,

Issue was for an existing field update (which is the next step in the process), "Re-evaluate Workflow Rules after Field Change" was not checked.
After this, time based WF entries are working as expeccted.

Thank you.

Krishna