function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Collen Mayer 6Collen Mayer 6 

Input time on Visual Force Page

Hi All,
I have a object called "time_entry__c" that includes the following fields: date__c, time_in__c, time_out__c.  The date field is date format, and the time in/out fields are date/time format (though if there was a better format option for these fields, they wouldn't have to be date/time).  For a timesheet visual force page I'm creating, for the time_in and time_out I'd like to have the user input the time (in time format, 12:00) and use the date from the date field in what is saved in the date/time format.  Can anyone point me in the right direction, or suggest an easier way that the user can enter time in a visual force page? 

Thanks,
Collen
NagendraNagendra (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Collen,

There is a Time Class in Apex that you can use. See example below for how to get the current time displayed in the HTML 5 time input field

Apex Controller:
public class MyTimeController {

public Time myTime { 
        get {
            if (myTime == null) {
                myTime =  DateTime.now().time();
            }
            return myTime;
        } 
        set;
    }
}
Visual Force Page:
<apex:page controller="MyTimeController" docType="html-5.0"> 
   <apex:form>
      Enter Time: <apex:input type="time" value="{!myTime}"/>
    </apex:form>
</apex:page>
Output:
User-added image
Note: input tags may not be supported on all browsers. It would be advisable to check a service such as CanIUse to make sure that your target browser supports it.

Please let us know if this helps.

Thanks,
Nagendra

Thanks, Nagendra.  So far so good.  So how would I use this on the VF page for existing fields?  So for example, normally, I would use <apex:inputField value="{!TSE.Time_In_1__c}"/> to display the "Time In 1" Field to the user.  How would the tag look to use the time format and allow the user to enter/edit the time on the record? 
Does any else have thoughts on how I can do this?  Nagendra's code above is working to get the field into a time only format but I am trying to figure out how to use it to edit an existing record from the visual force page.  The sample above for the VF page is:

<apex:input type="time" value="{!myTime}"/>

I need to use the input tag with type time instead of the following, which I normally use:
<apex:inputField value="{!TSE.Time_In_1__c}"/>
(TSE.Time_in_1__c is a datetime field). 

Thanks for any code suggestions.

Best,
Collen