function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ryan LambertRyan Lambert 

Force.com IDE & Eclipse Memory Issues w/ org that has many installed packages

I'm trying to understand if there is any way to create a new force.com project in Eclipse with the force.com ide and NOT have to suffer the hurdle of also extracting read-only copies of all installed managed packages in the org in question ?

Yes, this is the good old out of memory error and I have already increased my eclipse.ini settings

Per this article : https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?urlname=Why-does-the-Force-com-IDE-time-out-or-display-a-Java-heap-size-error-when-I-m-building-a-new-project&language=en_US

it seems this is standard behavior, but if the org has so many managed packages that it prevents you from even starting out with just a single class file in your package.xml this prevents any real development from within the eclipse IDE.

I was able to checkout all the standard developer metadata ( classes, aura, pages, etc ) with other metadata api tools without an issue in a few minutes but the force.com IDE prevents me from doing this due to this apparent requirement to also get all the managed packages.

Is the any alternative or workaround that would allow me to create a workspace for this org and not have to get all the managed packaged ?