function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sabrina Oliveira 3Sabrina Oliveira 3 

Is it possible to display only some of the active record types depending on the parent record type?

Hello,
I have 2 parents record types (Contact):
  • Physical Person
  • Juridical Person
My child object (Form) has 4 record types:
  • Physical Pre Form
  • Physical Form
  • Juridical Pre Form
  • Juridical Form
When I create a new Form using the related list button "New" is it possible to display only Physical Pre Form and Physical Form options if my Contact is a Physical Person?

I'm using a validation rule, but it's a big form and users will only get the notification that are filling out the wrong form when they save, after all the filling work.
Best Answer chosen by Sabrina Oliveira 3
Yogendra JangidYogendra Jangid
Hi Sabrina, 

there is no such OOTB Salesforce functionality where child record types are controlled by parent. However in order to achieve your requirement, you might have to consider going with overriding the New button functionality of child object and present them the record type selection screen which are applicable based on parent. That will require significant amount of coding.

Hope this answers your question. If so please can you mark this as the best answer. Thanks

All Answers

Yogendra JangidYogendra Jangid
Hi Sabrina, 

there is no such OOTB Salesforce functionality where child record types are controlled by parent. However in order to achieve your requirement, you might have to consider going with overriding the New button functionality of child object and present them the record type selection screen which are applicable based on parent. That will require significant amount of coding.

Hope this answers your question. If so please can you mark this as the best answer. Thanks
This was selected as the best answer
mukesh guptamukesh gupta
Hi Sabrina,

No, We can't show conditionaly. for this you need to create lightning component

if you need any assistanse, Please let me know!!

Kindly mark my solution as the best answer if it helps you.

Thanks
Mukesh