function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Rookie DeveloperRookie Developer 

Rookie Trigger

I discovered geocodes could be added to Accounts without needing code but for the sake of learning, could someone provide a newbie with constructive feedback on this trigger? I'd really like to figure this out.

I have two sales reps splitting California for their sales territory. One owns anything above Santa Barbara and one owns everything else. I created a custom object labeled 'Cities' with fields for City__c and Latitude__c, and imported this data for all California cities.

Whenever an Account is created or updated, I want my trigger to query the custom object 'Cities', match the Account BillingCity to the City__c field on my custom object, and evaluate if the corresponding Latitude__c field on my custom object is greater than Santa Barbara's latitude.  

If the latitude is greater than Santa Barbara's, add the Account to a list which will be updated with the Northern Sales Rep as the Owner. If the latitude is not greater than Santa Barbara's, add the Account to a list which will be updated with the Southern Sales Rep as the Owner.

When I test the trigger, I get the dreaded "System.NullPointerException: Attempt to de-reference a null object ()" error which confuses me because I check to see if BillingCity is null and confirmed I have all California cities and latitudes imported into my custom object. I have a feeling the error is somewhere around line 13 where I query my custom object and try to find the corresponding latitude...

Thanks to anyone for taking the time to help me learn! 

Here is my trigger:

trigger CaliSalesTerritory on Account (before insert, before update) {

List <Account> caliAccts; // A List to hold all California Accounts
    List <Account> norCalCities; // A List to hold all Northern California Accounts
    List <Account> soCalCities; // A List to hold all Southern California Accounts

for (Account acct : Trigger.new) { 
        if (acct.BillingState == 'California' && acct.BillingCity != null) {
            caliAccts.add(acct); 
// For all Accounts being inserted or updated, if the BillingState is "California" and the BillingCity isn't null, add the Account to the caliAccts list    
        }
    } 

for (Account acct2 : caliAccts) {
        Cities__c caliLatitude = [Select Latitude__c FROM Cities__c WHERE City__c = :acct2.BillingCity]; 
 // For all Accounts in the caliAccts list, query the Cities__c object and return the Latitude based on the Account's BillingCity

if (caliLatitude.Latitude__c > 34.4285) {
           norCalCities.add(acct2);
// If the Latitude is greater than Santa Barbara's latitude, add the Account to the norCalCities list            
        }    
            else {
                soCalCities.add(acct2);
// If the Latitude is not greater than Santa Barbara's latitude, add the Account to the soCalCities list                            
            }
    }

for (Account northRepAcct : norCalCities) {
        northRepAcct.OwnerId = '0050f0000097wqI'; //Northern Sales Rep UserId
// Assign all Accounts in the norCalCities list to the Northern Sales Rep
    }  
    update norCalCities;

for (Account southRepAcct : soCalCities) {
        southRepAcct.OwnerId = '0050f000009K2kr'; //Souther Sales Rep UserId
// Assign all Accounts in the soCalCities list to Southern Sales Rep        
    } 
    update soCalCities;
}
Boss CoffeeBoss Coffee
Try initializing your lists first before adding to them.
List <Account> caliAccts = new List<Account>(); // A List to hold all California Accounts 
List <Account> norCalCities = new List<Account>(); // A List to hold all Northern California Accounts 
List <Account> soCalCities = new List<Account>(); // A List to hold all Southern California Accounts

(facepalm)

that's embarrassing... thanks, Boss Coffee! i'll report back on my rpogress. have a great day

Boss CoffeeBoss Coffee
No problem! Let me know if you need any more help.
Hi Boss Coffee! Here is my test class:
@istest
public class testCaliSalesTerritory {

@istest static void createUpdateAccount() {
        Account myAcct      = new Account();
        myAcct.Name         = 'bbCaliTestAcct';
        myAcct.BillingCity  = 'Santa Barbara';
        myAcct.BillingState = 'California';
        insert myAcct;
    }

}

When I run this test class, I only get 47% code coverage. It looks like I'm not querying the Cities__c custom object correctly to retrieve the corresponding Latitude__c:
User-added image
Line 16 is syntactically correct I guess but it's not retrieiving the Latitude value to evaluate if it's north or south of Santa Barbara. Here are those lines of code:

if (caliLatitude.Latitude__c > 34.4285) {
     norCalCities.add(acct2);
// If the Latitude is greater than Santa Barbara's latitude, add the Account to the norCalCities list            
}
Any advice? I'm guessing my SOQL statement isn't correct. Thanks for your time!
or actually it may be the lines of code before with the SOQL query:
for (Account acct2 : caliAccts) {
     Cities__c caliLatitude = [Select Latitude__c FROM Cities__c WHERE City__c = :acct2.BillingCity]; 
 // For all Accounts in the caliAccts list, query the Cities__c object and return the Latitude based on the Account's BillingCity
Boss CoffeeBoss Coffee
In your test class you need to create the Cities__c records as well, otherwise the list will be empty when it reaches that line.

Additionally, a bit unrelated, but it's best to not include queries inside of for loops because you will very quickly hit your governor limits when processing a large number of records.

(another facepalm)

will do Boss Coffee and thanks for the pro tip regarding queries inside of for loops. i'll let you know how it goes. have a great day and thanks again for your help!

Greg HGreg H
I'm glad you are taking the time to learn a practical example. Good feedback has already been shared.Here is some more:
  • Instead of checking for null on acct.BillingCity try using the String.isNotBlank(acct.BillingCity) method. It checks for null, blank and empty ''.
  • Avoid using actual hard coded Ids in your logic. It is easy to do but it can cause deployment issues if you've coded for a sandbox Id that is not the same in your production Org.
Good luck with your development.
-greg
thanks greg! i feel like i've learned so much already. i'll incorporate your tips and report back on my progress. have a great day!