function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Evan KimmeyEvan Kimmey 

How to populate an account field long text field with an opportunity field (multi-select picklist)?

I am trying to populate an account field that is Free Text (Long) with a multi-select picklist field on the opportunity object. Workflow builder doesn't allow for a multi-select picklist cannot be used as the operator. In process builder I was running into the issue where I could not select the desired multi-select opp field. Is this because of the field type being multi-select or is there something I am missing?
Best Answer chosen by Evan Kimmey
AbhishekAbhishek (Salesforce Developers) 
I don't think we can do that unless you override the Standard Page Layout with a Custom Visualforce if you need this to happen real-time! Otherwise, it would be like this - 

User selects the Options from the Multi-select Picklist
Hit the Save button
A Workflow Rule would execute and as a result of which a Field Update fires.This fills the Long Text Area with all the "selected" Competitors line by line.
But the caveat is that, you or the User has to hit the Save button and then edit again to start filling the same.

Another option would be do this using a Flow. Where - 

The first Screen would show options[Multi-select Values aka the Competitors]
And then Loop iterates over the collection and show Screens to enter values for each of them
Finally collects the required information in a Text based Variable
Updates the Record
Yes, it sounds a little to overwhelming but I feel it should be doable.

And I also strongly feel that these should have been separate entities or objects instead of the Multi-Select Picklist and Long Text Area!

You can think of it like this - There will be a Custom Object called Competitor which would store the Names and Details of all know Competitors. You can then create another Custom Object called say "OpportunityCompetitor" which will be a junction object between Competitor and Opportunity(I am using Opportunity as an example). This could house the Price and other relevant fields too!

Yes it looks a little too broad and may it's late for you but still worth from a "long run" standpoint. As compared to the native options, there are ways to customize and the data becomes reportable which is what we need at the end of the day!

Let me know if it helps you and close your query by marking it as solved so that it can help others in the future.

Thanks.

All Answers

RituSharmaRituSharma
Process builders do work with multiselect field. Flow can also be used.
AbhishekAbhishek (Salesforce Developers) 
I don't think we can do that unless you override the Standard Page Layout with a Custom Visualforce if you need this to happen real-time! Otherwise, it would be like this - 

User selects the Options from the Multi-select Picklist
Hit the Save button
A Workflow Rule would execute and as a result of which a Field Update fires.This fills the Long Text Area with all the "selected" Competitors line by line.
But the caveat is that, you or the User has to hit the Save button and then edit again to start filling the same.

Another option would be do this using a Flow. Where - 

The first Screen would show options[Multi-select Values aka the Competitors]
And then Loop iterates over the collection and show Screens to enter values for each of them
Finally collects the required information in a Text based Variable
Updates the Record
Yes, it sounds a little to overwhelming but I feel it should be doable.

And I also strongly feel that these should have been separate entities or objects instead of the Multi-Select Picklist and Long Text Area!

You can think of it like this - There will be a Custom Object called Competitor which would store the Names and Details of all know Competitors. You can then create another Custom Object called say "OpportunityCompetitor" which will be a junction object between Competitor and Opportunity(I am using Opportunity as an example). This could house the Price and other relevant fields too!

Yes it looks a little too broad and may it's late for you but still worth from a "long run" standpoint. As compared to the native options, there are ways to customize and the data becomes reportable which is what we need at the end of the day!

Let me know if it helps you and close your query by marking it as solved so that it can help others in the future.

Thanks.
This was selected as the best answer
King CynthiaKing Cynthia
Thanks for the solution guys https://www.prepaidcardstatus.bid/