function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Connor ScottConnor Scott 

Can't develop apex in a development org

Hello all,
I'm trying to create a custom apex controller for a visualforce page, but no matter what i've tried, I cannot create an apex class in the developer console.  I am using a developer account, and am working in a developer org, and I still can't create apex classes. Is there something I am missing? Is there any alternative I can try to develop an apex class? 

Thank you in advance,
Connor
Best Answer chosen by Connor Scott
KrishnaAvvaKrishnaAvva
Hi Connor,

Can you confirm the edition you are using? Apex Author is available only for : Performance, Unlimited, Developer, and Enterprise Salesforce Editions.

Regards,
Krishna Avva

All Answers

KrishnaAvvaKrishnaAvva
Hi Connor,

Can you please post the steps you followed/the error message you are receiving while creating the controller?

Regards,
Krishna Avva
Connor ScottConnor Scott
Greetings Krishna,
I registered myself as a Salesforce developer, and created a developer org based on my companies production org. At this point, I opened up the developer console to try and create the apex class, but the option was unavailable, i'll provide a screenshot below.
User-added image
I'm wondering if theres a setting I may be missing, but as far as I can tell, it should be working. I am rather new to the salesforce platform, so this is the only way I can figure out how to create an apex class.
Raj VakatiRaj Vakati

You're probably viewing it in the Production environment. You need to be in either a Sandbox or Developer Org to create new Apex classes. In production you are not able to create class or trigger.
Connor ScottConnor Scott
Thats just it though, I am in a sandbox.
 User-added image
Sorry if the quality is a little poor, but i've only been working in a Developer Org. 
KrishnaAvvaKrishnaAvva
Hi COnnor,

Please make sure your profile has APEX Author permission.
Navigate to Profile -> System Permissions ->Apex Author and check it.

Regards,
Krishna Avva
KrishnaAvvaKrishnaAvva
PFA.User-added image
Raj VakatiRaj Vakati
Apex Author is checked by default for Sys Admin profile ..  What is the profile you are using ??
Connor ScottConnor Scott
User-added image
The Author Apex option doesn't show up for me. Is there a fix for this?
KrishnaAvvaKrishnaAvva
Hi Connor,

Can you confirm the edition you are using? Apex Author is available only for : Performance, Unlimited, Developer, and Enterprise Salesforce Editions.

Regards,
Krishna Avva
This was selected as the best answer
Connor ScottConnor Scott
I see now. My company is using Professional. I guess I'll have to take it up with my superiors now. Regardless, thank you so much for all your help, you've saved me a major migrane Krishna.
Regards, Connor