function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Christina Lam 7Christina Lam 7 

Cross Object Update

Hello Everyone! What is the best way to make cross object updates?
I have two number fields in custom object A. One field is a lookup field from custom object B. Second field is an automated field that I used process builder to calculate the total of a number of fields in custom object A. 

When I make changes in the original number field from custom object B, the lookup field in custom object A changes. However, it does not update the second automated field in custom object A. 
Best Answer chosen by Christina Lam 7
Andrew GAndrew G
Hi Christina

When you say there is a lookup field in the object A, do you mean a computed field doing a lookup to a field in object B?   Something like ObjectB.myNumberfield.

If so, the computed field update does not count as an edit / update on object A.  This would be why the process builder does not fire.

You would need to set another process builder firing from ObjectB and updating the related Object A

Cheers
Andrew

All Answers

Andrew GAndrew G
Hi Christina

When you say there is a lookup field in the object A, do you mean a computed field doing a lookup to a field in object B?   Something like ObjectB.myNumberfield.

If so, the computed field update does not count as an edit / update on object A.  This would be why the process builder does not fire.

You would need to set another process builder firing from ObjectB and updating the related Object A

Cheers
Andrew

This was selected as the best answer
Christina Lam 7Christina Lam 7
Hi Andrew, 

Thanks for your reply! That's really helpful. I was able to fire the computed field using process builder. 

Sincerely,
Christina