function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
krishna casukhela 7krishna casukhela 7 

owd question

Hello
I have to share records with users of a different profile.

In OWD, for that object  OWD=public read only
                                       ​
so even if I don't have VIEW ALL OR  VIEW ALL data permissions in profile  ​, can I still share records?

Please clarify .​
Abhishek BansalAbhishek Bansal
Hi Krishna,

No you cannot share the records with users of other profile since you do not have access to that records.
However if you are the owner of particular records than you can share those records with any user.
If you are not an Owner of record than you need the permissions to share records with other Users.

Let me know if you need more information on this.

Thanks,
Abhishek

Hi abishek,
first of all thanks for ur answer.

But I need more information on this post.
assume User_A has no access to object account in profile i.e he does not have READ access, so as pe rmy undrstanding of ur reply he is not owner so cannot share the records.

Then how to give permission to user_A to manually share records with other users who are not owner of the records.​

I hope its clear, in case my understanding wrong then pls correct.

krishna​
Jayson Faderanga 14Jayson Faderanga 14
Hi Krishna,

I'll give you a better understanding on how it is working.

If your OWD for an object is set to PUBLIC Read Only
•All users with "Read" access on their Profile on that object, will be able to see all the records on that object regardless of them not being the owner of the record.
•if they don't have "Read" access on their Profile on that object, of course, they won't be able to see any records on that object...there is what we called "Manual Sharing", if you open a record, you see a button says "Sharing", even if you manually added the user through that, he still won't be able to view the record as the user don't have "READ" access on his/her profile.

If your OWD for an Object is set to Private
•even if your user have READ,CREATE,EDIT access on that object, they won't be able to view records owned by others, just records they owned.
•if they have VIEW ALL, then they can see other's records.
•if they dont' have VIEW ALL Permission, but you want them to have access to see other user's record, just create a sharing rule to them or give them access through manual sharing. If you want specific users to have access but not all the user on the profile, just give the user Permission set which has View all data.

if your OWD for an object is set to Public Read/Write
•they will be able to view and edit records on that object as long as they have READ,CREATE,EDIT permission on their profile for that object. 

Hope that helps!

Chandra Sekhar CH N VChandra Sekhar CH N V
If ther records are owned by the owner himself then you can have manual sharing for that record using the 'Sharing' button on the record.
Hi Jayson
I am almost clear on understanding but there are statements contradictory in ur post.

If your OWD for an Object is set to Private
•even if your user have READ,CREATE,EDIT access on that object, they won't be able to view records owned by others, just records they owned.
•if they have VIEW ALL, then they can see other's records.

if OWD=private , how can a user having VIEW ALL permission still see other records?

Abhishek BansalAbhishek Bansal
Hi,

Please consider the below reply that will clear all your doubts :

To grant access to a record, you must be one of the following users.
  • The record owner
  • A user in a role above the owner in the hierarchy (if your organization’s sharing settings control access through hierarchies)
  • Any user granted “Full Access” to the record
  • An administrator
Let me know if you still have any doubt or any query.

Thanks,
Abhishek
Jayson Faderanga 14Jayson Faderanga 14
Hi Krishna,

if OWD=private , how can a user having VIEW ALL permission still see other records?

If your OWD = Private, only users with VIEW ALL permission on their profile can see records owned by others on that object. VIEW ALL Permission in profile is powerful as it gives VIEW access to ALL records on that object despite of Private Sharing model on that object. 

if they only have Read, Create, Edit, delete but DON'T have VIEW ALL Permission, they can only READ and EDIT they're owned records. IF the "GRANT ACCESS USING HIERARCHIES" is checked on the sharing settings, users that doesn't have VIEW ALL permission can see other users record as long as those users are below them in the role hierarchy. 

it is quite confusing at first, just don't hesitate to ask questions.

gourishankar prajapat 1gourishankar prajapat 1
I have an custom object with OWD=private and using 'GRANT ACCESS USING HIERARCHIES' in OWD.still the user (Manager) above in hierarchy is not able to see the record created by user (suervisor) lower than him.why SO? The (manager) user should have view all access to get the access of records created by user (supervisor). is it?