function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
trishtrish 

Mail Merge fields on lookup/masterdetail relationship fields

Is it possible to include a mail merge field on a lookup/master detail relationship field? For e.:- I am trying to create an email template on objX__c where I need a merge field on objX__c.objy__r.FieldName. If it is not possible, then, is there a workaround?

Thanks
Ron HessRon Hess
Mail merge does not pull in related objects, the only exception is Opportunity email templates can use a special syntax to include Opportunity line items.
trishtrish
Thanks Ron. I found a workaround. I created a long text field to store all the mail merge data that I want on objY. I update this field with a field update workflow rule and use this field as the mail merge field in the email template. This is redundant data , but it works for my current requirement, I would appreciate your input on this workaround.

Thanks
GoForceGoGoForceGo

Ron,

I assume this is still true in 2010.  Is there a workaround to this using Visual Force E-mail templates?

I guess the "table" of details could be included as a pdf attachment. The downside being that this would need to be a separate document that is attached in addition to main mail-merge document, which would be a word document.

Alternately, the entire document can be a pdf document - the downside being that a casual user cannot create this.