function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
morleymorley 

Winter '07: workflow field update ... on related objects?

Hi there ... I wondered if any other early users of Winter '07 have faced this issue.

I want to have a workflow rule that applies to a particular object, but triggers a field update in a master related object. E.g. I have a custom object "Order" that is the master of a related custom object "Order Item" and I want to implement workflow such that, when an Order Item is saved with an amount greater than 20, the field "Large Order Flag" in the Order object is set to True.

Is this possible? It doesn't look to me like it is. It's similiar to the fact that a formula field cannot refer to fields in a related object, which is similarly frustrating!

Thanks,

Glenn.
benjasikbenjasik
On the roadmap, but not yet possible with Winter.  You could do this with outbound messaging, and do the update through the API.  Also, if you get into the Apex beta, this is fairly easy to be done with Apex.
morleymorley

Thanks for the reply, Benjasik.

Perhaps I could expand a little just to make sure I'm doing the right thing. My end goal is, when a user edits one object, to update a field in a related object. I thought at first that, in Winter 07, I'd hijack the Save button on the Order Item object and get the save to trigger my own component that would then update the Order object through the API. But I saw yesterday that the Save button can't be altered. I don't want to use a custom link, because there's always the risk the user will just click Save instead, so I thought I'd use a workflow rule that runs when Order Item is saved. I can't do field update on a related object (as per your reply), so I'll do an outbound msg to trigger my component to update the Order. Does that sound like a good approach? As you mentioned, Apex would work too, it seems, so either might suffice.

Thanks,

Glenn.