function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SimonZeacomSimonZeacom 

Building a CTI adapter installer to be deployed.

Now I have my CTI adapter all done and an installer for it built I find I am having issues installing and running on other machine (other than my development machine I mean).

I am not certain I have done my installer at all correctly. I install all the files needed into a directory and the installer will register the MSXML6.dll file that is needed. On my machine everything runs fine but I think that is because I had previously installed the demo CTI adapter that comes in the toolkit.

On a test machine that we are trying to do a clean install on however we get the error: "Unable to start the Salesforce.com Office Toolkit. Please contact your Salesforce.com administrator to rectify this problem."

I do have the office toolkit dll in my install (SF_MSApi4.dll). Do I need to register this or something? Do I need some registry settings?

Simon

werewolfwerewolf
Yes, besides MSXML6 you do need to install SF_MSApi4.dll, and you need to register it too.  You should also register your own adapter DLL if you're not already doing so.  Those should be sufficient.
SimonZeacomSimonZeacom
OK, I did update my installer. I am just using the Visual 2003 installer as part of my project. Are you able to tell me the correct settings I should be using when registering the DLLs? Particularly the 'Register' setting.

I have played with it and built an installer that seemed to work but when I tried to uninstall it told me I had to shut down every other application running on my machine before it could complete!

Thanks.

Simon
werewolfwerewolf
You know, I'm not a fan of the installer included with Visual Studio for just that reason -- it never seems to work quite right.  Do you have access to any other installer?  I have used InstallShield and NSIS.  InstallShield is decent but idiosyncratic.  NSIS is free and actually quite good, but you set it up with a scripting language (i.e. there's no graphical wizard to make the installer) which is a little difficult.  Also, I'm not sure admins can mass-install with NSIS.  Well, I'm sure there is a way, but it's probably not as straightforward as it would be with an MSI file or the like.

If you're interested in NSIS I could send you the code to the NSIS installer I made for the demo adapter.

Message Edited by werewolf on 05-05-2008 05:45 AM
SimonZeacomSimonZeacom
I am kind of stuck with Visual Studio I am afraid since that's what we use here for everything else we do. The only change I can make is use Visual 2005 instead of 2003 as I had to write another part of my package (licensing for our system) in 2005.

I'll have a play with the VS2003 settings and see if I can't get it to behave.

Simon