function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
dietcoladietcola 

required fields before saving a lead vs required fields before converting a lead

Another question, I'm afraid!

I know how to make certain fields required before you can save a Lead record--you just click the Required checkbox on the Page Layout associated with that Lead's record type.  However, is there a way to make a field required before that record can be converted?

If that doesn't make sense, here's a quick dumb example.  Let's say I have a "Favorite Color" field on my Lead page.  I want to set that field so that my end user does not have to enter a favorite color in order to save the Lead record, but so that they do have to enter a favorite color in order to convert that record into an Account.

Thank you x3.  =)

Nick1746323Nick1746323

perhaps a validation rule on Leads would work?

IsConverted && ISBLANK(Favorite_Colour__c)

Might also need to check that validation rules are enabled for lead converts (in leads settings)

dietcoladietcola

Hmm, didn't seem to work.

I wonder if I didn't change what I needed to change in the Leads settings--I didn't see anything that talked about enabling validation rules lead converts when I went to Customize > Leads > Settings.  Should I check somewhere else?

Thank you for your help!

dietcoladietcola

Also, here's the formula I'm using, if it helps:

AND(
        (IsConverted),
        NOT(ISPICKVAL(Status, "Ready to Convert"))
      )

I want my user to not be able to convert until "Ready to Convert" is selected on my Lead Status picklist.  Unfortunately, when I tested this with a different picklist value selected, Salesforce still allowed me to convert my Lead.

Nick34536345Nick34536345

It's just a checkbox labelled "Enforce Validation and Triggers from Lead Convert"

I just did a quick search and apparently some older orgs may not have it enabled. see:

http://community.salesforce.com/sforce/board/message?board.id=apex&message.id=8969

dietcoladietcola

Still don't see it, sorry.  Here's what my screen looks like when I go to Customize > Leads > Settings.

Message Edited by dietcola on 11-30-2009 10:38 AM
Nick34536345Nick34536345

Yes I believe you =) think you'll need to poke Salesforce support regarding this option.

dietcoladietcola
Ha, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy.  =)  All right, thank you for your help!
CloudAllyCloudAlly

I saw that the posting was a little old. Maybe this will help.

AND(
IF(LEN(Favorite_Color__c)=0,
TRUE, FALSE))