function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jo_DengJo_Deng 

How to change standard field length after the custom object has been created?

I have a custom object, for which I created an "Object Name" field under standard field.  I initially set this field to allow a maximum of 80 character, only later to realize that this field length is way too short.  I really need to increate that to 120 characters.  But since this is a standard text field for this custom object, I am not able to change the field length.  Is there any way for me to alter that now?

BA_AdminBA_Admin

First thing is You cannot create a field under standard Fields, whenever you are creating a field that means it's custom field and you can create that only under Custom fields and relationships, next if you want to change the field which you have created edit that field and click on  change field type then you can change it to the way you want.

Jo_DengJo_Deng

Hi there, thank you for responding!

Under custom objects, there is a field that can either be created as an auto-generated number or as a text field.  That is the field that I would like to change field length for.  It doesn't seem to be any conventional way to change that.  I was wondering if someone has a trick.

BA_AdminBA_Admin

If it is text field under sutom fields, go to that field and edit that , nor change the field type and choose the text field which is of more characters, this should work

Jo_DengJo_Deng

I am sorry, this is a standard field, please see screenshot below.  It is the last field "Program name":

BA_AdminBA_Admin

You cannot change the field length for standard field, in this case you have to create a custom field of same data type with more characters and you have to use custom field instead of standard field, standard fields cannot be changed

SimplySfdcSimplySfdc

Any update on this from SF to make it possible to extend the length ?