function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
FreeBugFreeBug 

How to remove trigger making all contacts appear as affiliated contacts?

I am the system admin for a non-profit and in charge of all things Salesforce. Unfortunately, I am not a developer (yet), but I need to fix a problem in our Salesforce 'backend'.

Right now all of our contacts automatically become "affiliated contacts" and this is problematic. As I understand it, we have an installed api package that has a trigger for this.

Do I need to upgrade this package? If so, how / where do I do that, and how do I avoid info being lost?

Thanks so much and sorry for my very limited knowledge of Salesforce!

Charlotte

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
jeremyyjeremyy

Below is a snippet from online help that describes how to upgrade the package:

Salesforce supports upgrades for managed packages only. Publishers can publish an upgrade for a managed package and notify installers that the new version is available. Installers of a managed package can then install the upgrade as follows:
  1. Before you install an upgrade, determine if the app you installed was from a managed package. Look for the Managed - Installed Managed - Installed icon on the detail pages for each component and on the list of packages installed.

If the app you installed is not from a managed package, upgrades for it are not available.

2. Then, install the upgrade in the same way you would install any other package from Force.com AppExchange directory. If the publisher provided a link to the new version, follow the link to the package posting and install it in your organization. The first page of the install wizard lists the current version you have installed, the version you are about to install, and a list of additional components included in the new version.

All Answers

jeremyyjeremyy

If the installed package is doing this, you'll either have to remove the package, or if it's an unmanaged package, you should have access edit the trigger and change the behavior.

FreeBugFreeBug

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how I can find out if an installed or managed package is doing this?

I can tell you that when I look at 'Installed Packages' in the set up I see a package from the salesforce foundation called "affiliations". The version number is 1.5 and the namespace prefix is npe5.

If I look at the package components, there is one that says 'contact' and the parent object is 'affiliation' and the type is 'apex trigger'. Does this sound like the culprit.

I have never uninstalled a package, so if you think I will have to do that, it would be great if you could give me some pointers. I am a bit concerned that I will lose some work. For example, we do use the affiliated contact field for former employees and also for people who work at more than one organization.

Please let me know if I can provide you with more info about our set up!

Thanks again, I really appreciate this help!

Charlotte

jeremyyjeremyy

Sounds like it is managed. That means if you uninstall it, any custom objects or custom fields will be removed, including the data they hold. You could back up the data first, uninstall the app, recreate the custom field and then run an update to populate your new custom field.

To uninstall the app, go to Setup > Installed Packages.

FreeBugFreeBug

Okay, this seems like a solution, although it will probably be impossible for me to recreate it because there were helpful nuiances such as once I deleted someone from an org, they automatically got placed in the affiliated org as "former" employee.

Anyhow, one last question. I scoured the "answer" forum before moving over to the developer forum. There was one person who had the same problem and they replied," thanks for this, i realised we needed to update our affiliation package and then this option appeared!  thanks for your help" to the statement: "Apparantly there is an Administrator interface that allows you to turn on or off the automatic affilliations" However, I can't get in touch with them to learn how to update the affiliation package.

Do you have any insight into this communication? I am hoping that if I "update the affiliation package" I could see the admin interface that will allow me to turn off the automatic affiliations. However, I don't know how to update the affiliation package.

Thanks so much!

<script type="text/javascript"></script>            

jeremyyjeremyy

Below is a snippet from online help that describes how to upgrade the package:

Salesforce supports upgrades for managed packages only. Publishers can publish an upgrade for a managed package and notify installers that the new version is available. Installers of a managed package can then install the upgrade as follows:
  1. Before you install an upgrade, determine if the app you installed was from a managed package. Look for the Managed - Installed Managed - Installed icon on the detail pages for each component and on the list of packages installed.

If the app you installed is not from a managed package, upgrades for it are not available.

2. Then, install the upgrade in the same way you would install any other package from Force.com AppExchange directory. If the publisher provided a link to the new version, follow the link to the package posting and install it in your organization. The first page of the install wizard lists the current version you have installed, the version you are about to install, and a list of additional components included in the new version.

This was selected as the best answer
FreeBugFreeBug

Thank you very much. I will look for an upgraded affiliations package and follow the instructions below!

I really appreciate your help and dedication to stick with this one!

Best,

Charlotte