function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
miteshsuramiteshsura 

Create portal users via Data Loader

Hi,

Recently there was a need in my org to create bunch of Portal users, and I hate doing repitative things, off course I come from developing background. So I called SF premier support, asking the same, and they told I cannot create Portal Users via DL. 

I will have to create contact, hit allow login, enter user details, blah blah.. for each and every user. Did not make sense to me and I started to look into the Data Structure to see how User, Contact, Porfile, license objects are related. To my surprise there was contactId field under user object. 

All I did was populated the PortalUser.csv file with correct SF contactId, ProfileId(Partner Profile), RecordTypeId(Portal Contact) along with other info like Name, Email, Alias for 200 odd records. Uploaded via Data Loader and boom it all went in. 

I thought I will post here, so others can take advantage of this. Just shoot me an email or reply to this post, if you need further assitance.

Mitesh

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
miteshsuramiteshsura

Glad it helped someone.

Yes, there is one-to-one relationship between Contact-Portal User, which kind of makes sense.

You will have to create indiviudal contacts,

If a reply to a post answers your question or resolves your problem, please mark it as the solution to the post so that others may benefit.

Mitesh

All Answers

HariDineshHariDinesh

Hi miteshsura,

Thanks for sharing the Idea. Good one.

i tryed to load the partner user through data loader as you said. it is working.

but i have one que here,

Is there any limitation in SF that one contact should have only one partner user ?

why am asking this is, am trying to load suppplier with same contact id getting error like "partner user already created for this Contact"

can you please clarify this?

miteshsuramiteshsura

Glad it helped someone.

Yes, there is one-to-one relationship between Contact-Portal User, which kind of makes sense.

You will have to create indiviudal contacts,

If a reply to a post answers your question or resolves your problem, please mark it as the solution to the post so that others may benefit.

Mitesh

This was selected as the best answer
Zahir Basith 4Zahir Basith 4
Hi Mitesh,

Thanks for that post. I have a request to add 50 odd partner users in salesforce. 

I have thier first name, last name and email address. what I agoing to do is load first into the contact object. now my next challenge is to enable these contacts as parter user, I thought there will be a checkbox like isPartner on the contact object, but unfortunately I could not find it.  

So that, after loading contacts do I need to individually go and make them enable partner ?

After figuring this out I assume I need to prepare another CSV with details like name, email, profile id. salesforce license name, contactID username etc and load to user account ?

After all these I assuem I have to go to each user record and reset password ?

Please reply as soon as you can.

Thanks a lot in advance
Zahir
Mitesh SuraMitesh Sura
Hi Zahir, It sounds about right. The post was created almost 9 years ago, I would suggest researching more on this as things may have changed now. Or reach out to Salesforce and see if there is an easier way to handle it. I have not done portal users via DL in long time, so not sure what is the latest.