function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
dpawndpawn 

How can I export a report as a CSV (ideally scheduled to email or FTP)

I need to export a report as a CSV to an FTP site or email it on a daily or weekly basis.

I have a Report.  I need to get the report out of Salesforce somehow into CSV format.

Ideally, this would be scheduled.

I'm a developer so I can do developer stuff.  However, I don't know APEX and I don't know VisualForce.  I can get someone to do that stuff if we need to.

Thanks!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sfdcfoxsfdcfox
global class Exporter implements System.Schedulable {
    global void execute(SchedulableContext sc) {
        ApexPages.PageReference report = new ApexPages.PageReference('/00O500000000000?csv=1');
        Messaging.EmailFileAttachment attachment = new Messaging.EmailFileAttachment();
        attachment.setFileName('report.csv');
        attachment.setBody(report.getContent());
        attachment.setContentType('text/csv');
        Messaging.SingleEmailMessage message = new Messaging.SingleEmailMessage();
        message.setFileAttachments(new Messaging.EmailFileAttachment[] { attachment } );
        message.setSubject('Report');
        message.setPlainTextBody('The report is attached.');
        message.setToAddresses( new String[] { 'asdf@asdf.com' } );
        Messaging.sendEmail( new Messaging.SingleEmailMessage[] { message } );

}
}

Here's an example schedulable class that might be used to email a file. Note that the last five lines need to be ignored or stripped; I'll leave this as an exercise to the reader.

You could also build a SOQL query, execute it, then build the CSV yourself, but that means the system is hard-coded and less flexible. Of course, you could build an interactive configuration (perhaps by the use of a custom object or custom settings), which would help work around that particular limitation of flexibility, but that is by far more complex.

All Answers

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

There's two ways you can accomplish this:

1) Apex Code. This is ideal, because you can have the code run weekly, scheduled inside your salesforce.com instance. No visualforce necessary in this case, because the results could be emailed or submitted to an HTTP server (not FTP, because Apex Code can't yet do that).

2) Export from salesforce.com remotely. Set up a cron job on the server to extract the data. Have the script/program log in programmatically to salesforce.com (API should be okay, or just use the normal login.salesforce.com portal). Then, call your report using the following HTTP request:

GET /<report-id>?excel=1 HTTP/1.1
Host: <instance>.salesforce.com
Cookie: sid=<session-id>
<other HTTP headers here> 

A C, C++, Perl, or PHP programmer should be able to accomplish this in just a few lines of code. You could even use a shell script with curl or some other utility. At that point, it's just a matter of setting up a cron job. The downside here is you would need to validate that the server is up and accepting requests, and delay execution until such time (i.e. maintenance).

Both sides have some pros and cons, but I think that a scheduled Apex Code class would be preferential to an external pull mechanism; you don't have to worry about logging in, sessions expiring, passwords changing, or most any other problem associated with external integrations.

samdsamd

Hi

I just came across this post while researching an issue with scheduled emailed reports.  Could you give a bit more info on how you would implement option #1 - i.e. using Apex to extract data from a report and put into CSV.  As far as I know this isn't possible, but I'm hoping you know something I don't!

Thanks

Sam

sfdcfoxsfdcfox
        ApexPages.PageReference report = new ApexPages.PageReference('/00O500000000000?csv=1');
        message.setFileAttachments(new Messaging.EmailFileAttachment[] { attachment } );

}
}

Here's an example schedulable class that might be used to email a file. Note that the last five lines need to be ignored or stripped; I'll leave this as an exercise to the reader.

You could also build a SOQL query, execute it, then build the CSV yourself, but that means the system is hard-coded and less flexible. Of course, you could build an interactive configuration (perhaps by the use of a custom object or custom settings), which would help work around that particular limitation of flexibility, but that is by far more complex.

This was selected as the best answer
samdsamd

Awesome, the ?csv=1 parameter is a new discovery for me!

Thanks very much, this will be extremely useful.

Sam

goabhigogoabhigo

I am amazed how it solved your problem?

getContent() method isn't supported by Apex scheduler !!!

Please let me know how it solved the problem? I am running into same, so...

Niraj SaxenaNiraj Saxena

Great Solution !! Really helped me I only require the CSV part and CSV=1 worked like wonders for me.. Thanks for sharing.. Much appreciated...

Vaibhav JainVaibhav Jain

Yes you are right, it cannot be done for Scheduled Apex.

Can you please let me know if you have been able to achieve it? Any info will be appreciated

CNimmaCNimma
This is working absolutely perfect. Is there a test class for this code? Since getContent() method isn't supported by Apex scheduler, I am not able to come up with a test class. Thank you very much in advance!
Prasanthi BPrasanthi B
Small modification to the getcontent() method, as we can't use as it is in a schedulable class. This is working perfectly fine.
        attachment.setBody(Blob.valueof(report.getContent().toString()));

}
}

Naveen Reddy 8Naveen Reddy 8
Hi,
If I run these code through Developer console I'm able to recieve attachment properly.
i.e.
User-added image

If I schedule this class I'm recieving the attachment as like this.
User-added image

global class LeadReport3 implements System.Schedulable {
        ApexPages.PageReference report = new ApexPages.PageReference('/00O90000008euMX?csv=1');
        attachment.setFileName('Leads.csv');
        message.setSubject('Lead Report');
        message.setToAddresses( new String[] { 'naveen.bpy@gmail.com' } );
        message.setCcAddresses(new String[] { 'naveen.catch@gmail.com'});

}
    }

Note: A report is there in my org with id 00O90000008euMX

Please help..

Thanks,
Naveen
Jyoti Shah 31Jyoti Shah 31
Hello,

I tried this code, but the report that is sent in email is empty.
A report is there in the org with the ID
When I run the report on the instance, it has some data as a result. Not sure what am I missing.

Thanks
Jyoti
Sam SatterfieldSam Satterfield
I want to confirm whether or not, this is schedulable via the apex scheduler?

Best,
Sam S.
Andrew ToewsAndrew Toews
I am using the code posted by TESTOURSFDC and it works perfectly as a scheduled job in our Sandbox on Winter '16.  However, when I activate the Page Reference critical update the following error is returned: 

"Scheduler: failed to execute scheduled job: jobId: 7071100000glzc3, class: common.apex.async.AsyncApexJobObject, reason: Callout from scheduled Apex not supported."

Any ideas on how to modify this code so it works after the critical updates are activated on January 8th?  Appreciate any help!
kory108kory108
Building off of sfdcfox's answer, I have created an admin managable custom object for this. Without the custom object, a developer would need to go into the code and update any of the items, such as the report ID, email subject, or email recipients. With the custom object added, an admin just needs to edit a record.

Custom Object
Label: Exporter
Object Name: Exporter__c
Record Lable: Exporter Name
Record Data Type: Text

Custom Object Fields
Attachment_Name__c - Text(255)
Email_Body__c - Text(255)
Email_Recipients__c - Long Text Area(1000)
Email_Subject__c - Text(255)
Frequency__c - Picklist (Weekly, Monthly)
Monthly_Day__c - Picklist (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, last)
Report_ID__c - Text(18)

Once you've created the custom object, you can then create a custom Tab to access the records.

Apex Class
        List<Exporter__c> exportList = new List<Exporter__c>{};
        Datetime dt = DateTime.newInstance(Date.today(), Time.newInstance(0, 0, 0, 0));
        Date d = Date.today();
        Date firstDate = d.toStartOfMonth();
        Date lastDay = firstDate.addDays(Date.daysInMonth(d.year(), d.month())-1);

system.debug('First Day: ' + firstDate);
        system.debug('Last Day: ' + lastDay);

exportList = [Select Id, Name, Report_ID__c, Attachment_Name__c, Email_Subject__c, Email_Body__c, Email_Recipients__c, Frequency__c, Weekly_Days__c, Monthly_Day__c from Exporter__c];

for(Exporter__c e : exportList){
            //Determine if Exporter record is scheduled to run today.
            Boolean process = Test.isRunningTest() ? true : false;

//Test for Weekly frequency.
            process = e.Frequency__c == 'Weekly' && e.Weekly_Days__c.contains(dt.format('EEEE')) ? true : process;

//Test for Monthly frequency.
        	process = e.Frequency__c == 'Monthly' && (e.Monthly_Day__c == String.valueOf(d.day()) || e.Monthly_Day__c == 'last' && d == lastDay || lastDay.day() <= Integer.valueOf(e.Monthly_Day__c)) ? true : process;

//Run process if scheduled.
            if(process){
                System.debug('Starting message processing for: ' + e.Name);
                ApexPages.PageReference report = new ApexPages.PageReference('/' + e.Report_ID__c + '?csv=1');
                attachment.setFileName(e.Attachment_Name__c);
                Blob content = Test.isRunningTest() ? Blob.valueOf('UNIT.TEST') : report.getContent();
                attachment.setBody(content);
                message.setFileAttachments(new Messaging.EmailFileAttachment[] {attachment});
                message.setSubject(e.Email_Subject__c);
                message.setPlainTextBody(e.Email_Body__c);
                String[] emailRecipients = e.Email_Recipients__c.split(',');
                message.setToAddresses(emailRecipients);
                Messaging.sendEmail(new Messaging.SingleEmailMessage[] {message});
                System.debug('Completed message processing for: ' + e.Name);
            }
        }
    }
}

Apex Test Class
@isTest
	private class TestExporter {
	   // CRON expression: midnight on March 15. Because this is a test, job executes immediately after Test.stopTest().
	   // =========================================================================
	   public static String CRON_EXP = '0 0 0 15 3 ? 2022';
	   static testmethod void test() {
          Exporter__c e	= new Exporter__c();
  			e.Name = 'Test Exporter Record';
            e.Report_ID__c = '00OU0000001xEWe';
            e.Attachment_Name__c = 'Test Attachment Name';
            e.Email_Subject__c = 'Test Email Subject';
            e.Email_Body__c = 'Test Email Body';
            e.Email_Recipients__c = 'abc@abc.com';
          Insert(e);

Test.startTest();

// Schedule the test job
	      String jobId = System.schedule('ScheduleApexClassTest',
	                        CRON_EXP,
	                        new Exporter());

// Get the information from the CronTrigger API object
	      CronTrigger ct = [SELECT Id, CronExpression, TimesTriggered,
	         NextFireTime
	         FROM CronTrigger WHERE id = :jobId];

// Verify the expressions are the same
	      System.assertEquals(CRON_EXP,
	         ct.CronExpression);

// Verify the job has not run
	      System.assertEquals(0, ct.TimesTriggered);

// Verify the next time the job will run
	      System.assertEquals('2022-03-15 00:00:00',
	         String.valueOf(ct.NextFireTime));
	      Test.stopTest();

}
	}

You'll need to schedule the Apex Class as a batch job - I would recommend setting the batch job to run every day, regardless of what business requirements you have around the schedule. Your administrators can then create new Exporter records and set the exact schedule they want from there. Note that the Attachment Name should include .csv at the end and the Email Recipients should be on one line separated by commas.

Example Exporter Record
Bryan TelfordBryan Telford
Thank you, kory108. This is really awesome.
Monique AmmiMonique Ammi
Thanks for this... I am having trouble finding the Report ID. Any suggestions on where to get it?

Do I need it if I have a unique Report_Name field in the Exporter object and use that instead?
kory108kory108
Monique,

When creating a new Exporter record, the Report ID field should be filled in the with ID for the report you want to auto-run in Salesforce. To find the report's ID, open the report in Salesforce, copy the last bit from the URL, and paste that portion into the Report ID field on your new Exporter record.

For example, say the URL for your report is below. The report ID is the last portion in bold.

https://na12.salesforce.com/00OU0000002CuN3
Monique AmmiMonique Ammi
Ah! Just like the contact and account... I should have thought of that! I appreciate the quick reply!
Sandra WicketSandra Wicket
@kory108 

thumps up! ;)  i simply copy paste your code for my developer edition ^^ but i didnt receive an Email. Our System is "german" .. maybe that is the problem? maybe the time code ? In your Example i should get the report at 00:00 am right ?  
kory108kory108
Jorma,

I'd first verify it's not your email deliverablility settings. Go to Setup > Email Administration > Deliverability and verif that the Access Level is set to All email. I usually forget to turn this on myself, so hopefully that's the issue.
Sulabh KapoorSulabh Kapoor
We need to run this logic of sending an email through a future method otherwise an exception would come that Callout from scheduled Apex not supported.

I am facing an issue that when an email is received, I am unable to open the attachment - the attachment doesn't seem to be a csv file. Any idea?
Never mmind, I was able to figure out the problem of sending the attachment extension as .csv.

And, I would recommend to use the sendEmail out of the loop - just for the sake if you have more than 1 record to be iterated.
Dilshan PereraDilshan Perera
@kory108

I tried your solution with the custom object and the scheduled apex class, on execution of the scheduled job i'm getting the following error "Callout from scheduled Apex not supported." from the getContent() call.

Is there any workaround for this?
Mudasir WaniMudasir Wani
@Dilshan as of now slaesforce is not supporting the use of getContent() in batch that is the reason you are getting this error.
Colin KenworthyColin Kenworthy
As someone mentioned previously, the report.getContent() is causing a "Callout from scheduled Apex not supported" error and that the workaround is using a Future method. Just move all the code from the execute() into a Future method:
        DoExport();
    }

@future(callout=true)
    public static void DoExport() {
    }
}
You can easily apply this to @kory108's solution.

Mudasir WaniMudasir Wani
Batch is itself a future and we can't call a future with in a future method.
But definitely you can try Queueable Apex: More Than an @future that will solve your problem.

https://developer.salesforce.com/blogs/developer-relations/2015/05/queueable-apex-future.html

Hope this helps.
Donot forget to mark the solution as best answer as it helps others !
Nicole Young 2Nicole Young 2
This is awesome! It worked perfectly to deliver the report to me in a .csv format. However, I'm receiving the following error form the test class: Error: Compile Error: Invalid type: Exporter__c at line 7 column 29

Please advise. Thanks!
kory108kory108
Since I last posted here, Salesforce send out a critical update that broke the old code I had posted. In addition, I ran into an issue where more than 10 email addresses needed to receive the same report, and this hit a limit. As such, below is the new code along with the original setup instructions for reference. This has been tested and is working as of the Winter '17 release.

I have created an admin managable custom object for this. Without the custom object, a developer would need to go into the code and update any of the items, such as the report ID, email subject, or email recipients. With the custom object added, an admin just needs to edit a record.

Custom Object
Label: Exporter
Object Name: Exporter__c
Record Lable: Exporter Name
Record Data Type: Text

Custom Object Fields
Attachment_Name__c - Text(255)
Email_Body__c - Text(255)
Email_Recipients__c - Long Text Area(1000)
Email_Subject__c - Text(255)
Frequency__c - Picklist (Weekly, Monthly)
Last_Ran__c - Date/Time
Monthly_Day__c - Picklist (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, last)
Report_ID__c - Text(18)

Once you've created the custom object, you can then create a custom Tab to access the records.

Apex Class

DoExport();
    }

@future(callout=true)
    public static void DoExport(){
        List<Exporter__c> exportUpdateList = new List<Exporter__c>{};
        List<Messaging.SingleEmailMessage> mails  = new List<Messaging.SingleEmailMessage>();
        Date d = Date.today();

exportList = [Select Id, Name, Report_ID__c, Attachment_Name__c, Email_Subject__c, Email_Body__c, Email_Recipients__c, Frequency__c, Weekly_Days__c, Monthly_Day__c, Last_Ran__c from Exporter__c];

process = e.Frequency__c == 'Weekly' && e.Weekly_Days__c.contains(dt.format('EEEE')) ? true : process;

process = e.Frequency__c == 'Monthly' && (e.Monthly_Day__c == String.valueOf(d.day()) || e.Monthly_Day__c == 'last' && d == lastDay || lastDay.day() <= Integer.valueOf(e.Monthly_Day__c)) ? true : process;

if(process){
                ApexPages.PageReference report = new ApexPages.PageReference('/' + e.Report_ID__c + '?csv=1');
                Blob content = Test.isRunningTest() ? Blob.valueOf('UNIT.TEST') : report.getContent();
                mails.add(message);

//Update Last Ran date and add to update list.
                e.Last_Ran__c = System.now();
                exportUpdateList.add(e);
            }
        }
        //Send the email messages all at once to avoid limits.
        Messaging.sendEmail(mails);
        System.debug('Send emails.');

//Update Export record with Last Ran date.
        update exportUpdateList;
    }
}

Apex Test Class
@isTest
	   // CRON expression: midnight on March 15. Because this is a test, job executes immediately after Test.stopTest().
	   public static String CRON_EXP = '0 0 0 15 3 ? 2022';
          Exporter__c e	= new Exporter__c();
            e.Report_ID__c = '00OU0000001xEWe';
            e.Email_Recipients__c = 'abc@abc.com';
          Insert(e);

Test.startTest();

// Schedule the test job
	                        CRON_EXP,
	                        new Exporter());

NextFireTime

ct.CronExpression);

System.assertEquals('2022-03-15 00:00:00',
	      Test.stopTest();

}
	}

You'll need to schedule the Apex Class as a batch job - I would recommend setting the batch job to run every day, regardless of what business requirements you have around the schedule. Your administrators can then create new Exporter records and set the exact schedule they want from there. Note that the Attachment Name should include .csv at the end and the Email Recipients should be on one line separated by commas.

Exporter Record Example
Nicole Young 2Nicole Young 2
Got it. Thanks!
V.Jayarami ReddyV.Jayarami Reddy
Is there any way to send/brust SFDC report to server location
Ashique Khan 7Ashique Khan 7
@kory108 this is amazing!!! One quick question though. Does it need the 18 digit SFDC ID or will it work with the 15? Also, I have the scheduler running however, the report is not being refreshed or sent. 
kory108kory108
@Ashique I personally have only tried 15 digit IDs, however I believe the code should work with either 15 or 18 digit IDs. 

Have you tried running a debug log for yourself when the scheduler is set to run? Hopefully that should give you some insight into what's going wrong. I would also check to verify both the Frequency and either the Weekly Days or Monthly Day fields are filled in. If any are blank, the code won't pick up on the Export record. 

If you're still having trouble, paste in the debug log from the scheduler and I can take a look.
Vignesh Vaithi 5Vignesh Vaithi 5
@Kory108 Can i please ask, with your approach, how to send the generate csv file and send it to a FTP location? Also, the batch execution should be dynamic (based on an event), not hourly basis.
Jeff HagopianJeff Hagopian
@Kory108, Your approach is incredibly helpful.  How owuld I modify the Exporter Apex Code and Custom Object to be able to run the report export on a daily bases, say at a certain time every day?
Helen Arabanos 8Helen Arabanos 8
This works great! thank you! One question, is there a way to change the email address that "sends" the email with the CSV attachment? We'd like the email to appear to come from the person that is supporting that particular report request. 
@helen Arabansos 8 - you can enable Org Wide Email Address for that profile (user who manages this report) and use the setOrgWideEmailAddressID to the ID of that email address. Something like ---

OrgWideEmailAddress[] owea = [select Id from OrgWideEmailAddress where Address = 'salesforce@xyz.com'];
email.setOrgWideEmailAddressID(owea.get(0).id);

@Jeff Hagopian - You can schedule it through Schedule Apex button on the Apex Class page. Go to Setup-> Developer - > Apex Classes -> Schedule. Make your selections 
kory108kory108
@Jeff - If you want to run the report at a certain time every day, and other reports at other times during the day, you'd need to add an additional picklist for Time (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23). The code would then need to be updated to check the current hour and see if the picklist Time selected is the same. 

You'd also need to schedule the batch job to run every hour one the backend. Note that Salesforce limits each org to a maximum of 25 batch jobs, so you may want to do one every 3 or 4 hours and then update your Time picklist to match.
Helen Arabanos 8Helen Arabanos 8
@salabh Kapoor - thanks so much! Really appreciate your help with this.
Jeff HagopianJeff Hagopian
@kory108    How can I put this....I aint that smart.   Is there any chance you could provide the apex code for the process to run every 3 hours?  I can add the custom picklist of course...just need help on the apex.   Would be much appreciated.  Jeff
Hi,

This scheduler works great but now I am working on enhancing this feature to NOT send an email if there is no record in the report. Has anyone already done this ?

TIA
I can think of 2 approaches.
1.  Create an Integer custom field in the Exporter__c object that holds the number of lines in the csv when there is nothing to report.  Then count the number of lines in the csv blob and if they match do not send the email.
2. Create a long textarea field in the Explorer__c object that holds a SOQL query.  It would imitate the report type and filters/ranges of the report.  Run the query and if it returns zero rows do not send the email.
@Colin Kenworthy - Thanks for the 2 approaches but I was looking for a dynamic approach. Option 1 was returning incosistent count with the blob.getContent and I was unable to determine the count of lines and moreover that number would have changed if the columns had changed in the report. Option 2 would not have worked if a user had added different filter criteria in the report.

On reading more about the reportResults class - https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.apexcode.meta/apexcode/apex_analytics_report_data.htm. I used something as below - 

// default the value to false so that we send the email for every report
boolean doNotRun = false; 
// get the report information from the exporter object and then find the metadata information
Reports.reportResults results = Reports.ReportManager.runReport(e.Report_ID__c);
//Reports.ReportMetadata rm = results.getReportMetadata();
system.debug('report name --- '+e.Name);

Reports.ReportFactWithSummaries factDetails =(Reports.ReportFactWithSummaries)results.getFactMap().get('T!T');
system.debug('in the if condition -- '+factDetails.getAggregates()[0].getLabel());
// check the value of the first aggregate. this will be zero if the aggegate is on Record Count or will be 0.00 if aggregated on the dollar amount
if(factDetails.getAggregates()[0].getLabel() == '0' || factDetails.getAggregates()[0].getLabel() == '0.00'){
    doNotRun = true;
}
Fabian PetersFabian Peters
In additon to best answer by sfdcfox:
If you have a user working in Lightning Experience, you have to append the URL Parameter isdtp=p1 to the report URL to avoid lightning redirection, which results in an html redirect page output instead of the report results.
Marla GabyMarla Gaby
@kory108: I'm using your Exporter and it's working great for my users. They asked if the file can be exported with pipe delimiters instead of commas. If it's possible, how would I add that in the Apex (novice Apex user!). Thanks.
kory108kory108
@Marla: I don't believe this is possible without a large amount of custom code (if even then). The current code utilizes the standard Salesforce csv (Comma seperated value) extract functionality, so it's pretty simple. I don't think it would be possible to code this for pipe delimiters instead, as this is not supported by Salesforce at all.
@Marla your question really deserves its own thread.
This post shows how to break a string containing a csv into rows and individual columns.
It should be trivial to join all the columns in a line back into a string but pipe delimited.
Similarly it's simple to convert between blob and string.

https://developer.salesforce.com/forums/?id=906F000000091aKIAQ
Nicole WarshauerNicole Warshauer
@kory108 Is there a way to email Excel report attachments instead of CSV?
Use excel=1 instead of csv=1 in the report url:
ApexPages.PageReference report = new ApexPages.PageReference('/00O90000008euMX?excel=1');
also your attachment filename should have an .xls extension (not .csv) and the content type should be 'application/vnd.ms-excel' (not 'text/csv')

@Colin Thanks!  I had made the second update but not the first one.  Now that I've made both changes, the attached file is just a file when it comes across.  If I navigate to the download of the file and add .xls, it opens and looks great.  Any ideas on why it is missing the .xls extension in the email attachment?
Rama krishna 190Rama krishna 190

Hi Great people, 

Just a small question , on code give by kory108 is it possible to attach multiple reports as attachments in same email 
eg: all reports in a "Single Report folder" need to be send as attachments in single email .

I have a similar requirement and the solution which kory108 gave is very much helpful except it is working for single report , 

Can anyone help in this regards ? , Suggestions are also most welcome.

Todd KadasTodd Kadas
@kory108-thanks for posting this solution! I have no idea how you even came up with this approach but it enabled me to schedule a report and receive a file as an attachment to an email.  To be honest, I'm not sure what the file type is that I received but I am able to save it and then import into xls as text and use text to column to parse data.  The only issue I have, other than the file type, is that the report I chose to export contains some long text fields including commas and carriage returns.  Text values within this field on some of the records get parsed to separate rows and renders the output unusable (nothing to do with your process but rather the data I am trying to retrieve).  Thanks again!
@Sulabh-how did you manage to extract csv file type?
@Colin-thanks for posting update on how to export to xls file type! Thinking I will try this to determine impact 
kory108kory108
@todd - The first thing that comes to mind is the Attachment Name in the Exporter record. It needs to have .csv at the end, otherwise the file will appear in the email without an extension (for example, Report.csv). Give that a try and hopefully that resolves your issue.
Satya Ranjan MohantySatya Ranjan Mohanty
Hi Kory,
I have implemented your code in my org its working fine when i scheduling the batch class its throwing error Too many callouts
below line is throwing 
 Blob content = report.getContent();

Any thing i am doing wrong

Thanks & Regards,
satya
Hi

we are  facing one problem when user is reciving the email thier the owner name is displaying but mail address it showing who has scduled the batch class.
The user should receive the mail from the record owner with his/her mail address
any body has any thoughts how to reslove this problem.

Thanx in advance
satya

Olga LozaOlga Loza
@kory108 - Hi. Thank you for this solution! It's been working great for over a year but this week the CSV file contains the following code instead of the report data:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
    <meta HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">

<script>
if (this.SfdcApp && this.SfdcApp.projectOneNavigator) { SfdcApp.projectOneNavigator.handleRedirect('https://cob-osu.lightning.force.com/lightning/_classic/%2F00OC0000006HCWM%3Fcsv%3D1%26inline%3D1'); }  else 
if (window.location.replace){ 
window.location.replace('https://cob-osu.lightning.force.com/lightning/_classic/%2F00OC0000006HCWM%3Fcsv%3D1%26inline%3D1');
} else {;
window.location.href ='https://cob-osu.lightning.force.com/lightning/_classic/%2F00OC0000006HCWM%3Fcsv%3D1%26inline%3D1';
} 
</script>

Does anyone know what's going on? We have enabled Lightning for some but not all users recently, hoever the users that got this error are not currently LEX enabled. Not sure if this matters.
kory108kory108
@Olga - this is due to the user that submitted the batch job running Lightning. You can determine who this user is by navigating to Setup > Jobs > Scheduled Jobs and finding the Exporter job (or whatever you called it when it was set up). If this user is running Lightning the error message you're seeing will be sent.

I haven't taken the time yet to re-write the code to support Lightning as we have an integration user that we have permanently on Classic. 

Hopefully this is of some help.
Olga LozaOlga Loza
@kory108 - yes, this helps! I will do the same with the integration user. Thank you.
I could not find a URL that would auto export the csv in Lightning.  There is, however, a way to export the excel (.xlsx) version of the report using the REST API.  Amend the following and it should run Anonymously in the Developer Console.  It should be straight forward to drop it into the existing framework above.

For the API call to work you will also have to create a Remote Site Setting for your Salesforce instance.

HTTP connection = new HTTP();
HTTPRequest req = new HTTPRequest();
req.setMethod('GET');
// *** REPLACE eu11 AND THE REPORT ID WITH YOUR OWN SALESFORCE INSTANCE AND REPORT ID
req.setEndpoint('https://eu11.salesforce.com/services/data/v43.0/analytics/reports/00O0Y000007juGmUAI');
req.setHeader('Content-Type','application/json; charset=UTF-8');
req.setHeader('Accept','application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet');
req.setHeader('Authorization', 'OAuth ' + UserInfo.getSessionId());
HTTPResponse res = connection.send(req);
Blob content = res.getBodyAsBlob();
List<Messaging.SingleEmailMessage> mails = new List<Messaging.SingleEmailMessage>();
attachment.setFileName('attachment.xlsx');
attachment.setContentType('application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet');
message.setSubject('test email');
message.setPlainTextBody('see attached');
// *** YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS
String[] emailRecipients = new String[]{'xxxxx@xxxxxxx.com'};
mails.add(message);

satya vani 4satya vani 4
Hi Kory,

I am completely new to development. I have the same requirement a report on a scheduled day shold be emailed in csv format
I followed your steps created an object, tab and then created an apex class. I am getting the below error

Email_Recipients__c, Frequency__c, Weekly_Days__c, Monthly_Day__c,
                                   ^
ERROR at Row:1:Column:120
No such column 'Weekly_Days__c' on entity 'Exporter__c'. If you are attempting to use a custom field, be sure to append the '__c' after the custom field name. Please reference your WSDL or the describe call for the appropriate names.
HI Satya vani,

Have you created this Weekly Days custom filed in Exporter custom object?

It seems the "Weekly Days" custom field was missed off Kory's post (but it is in the screen shot). It should be like this:

Weekly_Days__c - Multi-Select Picklist(Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday)
satya vani 4satya vani 4
Got it, Thanks! @SatyaRanjan @Colin
satya vani 4satya vani 4
@kory, Thanks for your amazing solution. It worked in our organisation
Gsam1234Gsam1234
@kory108 thank you for the great solution. Is there a function for having the scheduled report export as the Salesforce formatted .xlsx instead of .csv? Thank you.
Gsam, see earlier posts about excel=1 (it works for .xls not sure about .xlsx).
David Nash 8David Nash 8
If you want this setup to be automated, you can use total Folder monitor where when a report lands, conversion can be initiated. You can learn more about it here: https://www.coolutils.com/TotalFolderMonitor
mitsvikmitsvik
I am glad i found this at the right time.But its not working for me. So i am very new to coding with very little codig experience.But learning like this. So my ask is to send a report in csv TO A NON salesforce user andi belive this will work. 
So i have a report generated from an custom object, question
1) How can i repurpose this code, should i create the fields as you have created in ExPLOrer object or even though i havea custome object i need to send the report on i should create another object with the above fields 
2) Should i be creating a class and test class and also run the job, in that case what value for dates should i out if i wan to check to getthe mail immeidiatly
please help.
Hi Smitha,

Create a new custom object with above mentioned field ,you can use @kory's apex class

Regards,
satya
mitsvikmitsvik
I did so and i ran the test class. It says sucess but did not get any email with CSV, thats why is there something i need to do on the scheduled job or date within the test class if i want to get the mail now?

please advice
Have you created the record in tht custom object ? and schedule the apex class 
mitsvikmitsvik
yes. also see my test class, can you advice what values i should put in highlited for the email to be be recivied today? I am getting an error apex jobs...
email test classUser-added image
mitsvikmitsvik
not sure where i am making a mistake
mitsvikmitsvik
Trying this again, pardon me for some ignorant question, once i create this class, i also create the test class right? And should i schedule Apex Job?
also why would i query on user when i am sedning an email to non salesforce user please guide?

You should create the your report and the Exporter__c custom object in your production org.  Then create a developer sandbox to create the same apex class and test class as Kory108 gives (Exporter and TestExporter).  In the apex test class put your own report id into it, nothing else needs changing.

Make an outbound changeset in the sandbox and put the two apex classes in it, deploy it to the production org. (you need to amend Deployment Settings to accept changesets from the sandbox).

Once deployed in the production org. go to the Exporter tab and create a new Exporter record similar to Kory108 screenshot, put the report id, recipient email, day(s) of week to run etc.

In the production org. go into setup, find the Apex Classes page, then click the Schedule Apex button and schedule the Exporter apex class to run daily at your preferred time.

mitsvikmitsvik
Thanks will try this and update here....
Monika shirkeMonika shirke
@kory108 
Create a custom object as well :-
custom
I used your code :-
Class :- 

DoExport();
    }

@future(callout=true)
    public static void DoExport(){
        List<Exporter__c> exportUpdateList = new List<Exporter__c>{};
        List<Messaging.SingleEmailMessage> mails  = new List<Messaging.SingleEmailMessage>();
        Date d = Date.today();

exportList = [Select Id, Name, Report_ID__c, Attachment_Name__c, Email_Subject__c, Email_Body__c, Email_Recipients__c, Frequency__c, Weekly_Days__c, Monthly_Day__c, Last_Ran__c from Exporter__c];

if(process){
                mails.add(message);

//Update Last Ran date and add to update list.
                e.Last_Ran__c = System.now();
                exportUpdateList.add(e);
            }
        }
        //Send the email messages all at once to avoid limits.
        System.debug('Send emails.');

//Update Export record with Last Ran date.
        update exportUpdateList;
    }
}

Test class :-

@isTest
       public static String CRON_EXP = '0 0 0 06 3 ? 2019';
          Exporter__c e    = new Exporter__c();
            e.Report_ID__c = '00O7F00000ADBGJ';
            e.Email_Recipients__c = 'monika_shirke@abc.com';
          Insert(e);

Test.startTest();

// Schedule the test job
                            CRON_EXP,
                            new Exporter());

NextFireTime

ct.CronExpression);

System.assertEquals('2019-03-06 00:00:00',
          Test.stopTest();

}
    }

I schedule the job , its run successfully 
User-added image

Im able to get mail , in attachment no data.

User-added image

EXcel sheet Body :-

User-added image

Why im not getting data in CSV file .what mistake im doing it ,Please help .Thanks In advance 

Hi Monika,

This error coming in prod right ? I assume this error will not come every time if you schedule i mean to say some time you will receive the excepted attchment  i have faced this type of issue in my production org

attachment.setFileName(e.Attachment_Name__c+'.csv');

{

I suspect that the use of PageReference.getContent() to set the body of the attachment is causing the issue. Generally speaking PageReference is used in the visualforce page context emitted to a browser and this doesn't appear to be a valid use case for PageReference.

As an alternative, I recommend  to create a visualforce email template and try to create the email by referencing the template instead.

> Visualforce Template Creation: https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.pages.meta/pages/pages_compref_messaging_emailTemplate.htm

> Referencing email templates in apex: https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=000188017&type=1
Let us know if you have any query .

Hi Monika, this only works if you turn off lightning experience. It has not been converted to run in Lightning yet. It is mentioned in one of the comments above. 
Todd KadasTodd Kadas
I have been using this solution for well over a year with no issues, with Lightning enabled on my profile, until Mar 29, 2019 when the attachments contained similar content to what Monika posted above.  By chance, has anyone tried Fabian's solution above?  If so, how did you modify this line? PageReference('/' + e.Report_ID__c + '?csv=1' 
You would do it like this, I haven't tested it though.
ApexPages.PageReference report = new ApexPages.PageReference('/' + e.Report_ID__c + '?csv=1&isdtp=p1');

mitsvikmitsvik
i have everything set up as directed, but i still am not able to get it to work
Todd KadasTodd Kadas
@Colin-thanks for quick reply.  Easiest workaround was to just change owner to a non Lightning user.  This resolved issue.  Was a bit of a scare that I could have lived without though on a Monday morning
Malli GMalli G
@Colin

We are able to export the report even in Lightning using the API but while exporting the xlxs file also contains the report name and all the filter criteria conditions as a header. Is there any way to remove them and display only the data in the report. 

Thanks
Mallikharjun  
@Malli
https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.api_analytics.meta/api_analytics/sforce_analytics_rest_api_download_excel.htm (https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.api_analytics.meta/api_analytics/sforce_analytics_rest_api_download_excel.htm" target="_blank)
I am not aware of any parameters that can be added.
Todd KadasTodd Kadas
Would there be any way to update the script to also allow this to be invocable via process builder?  We built a PB on the email message object that posts to Chatter when either new cases are created or existing cases are updated via email2case.  However, the PB is evaluating these emails as well and causing it to fail.  Only solution I can think of is to add criteria to PB that looks for messages being sent to me and when it finds them invoke this apex.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks....
smitha vikramsmitha vikram
@colin

does this work for lightning now?
Ashu sharma 38Ashu sharma 38
Hi All,

I need some inofrmation,Could we schedule the report for import into excel(csv) from salesforce at specific time.?

Thanks.
Olga LozaOlga Loza
@Ashu,
I believe, the timing is controlled by the Scheduled Apex Job, so it would be the same for all reports that are ran by this class.
Olga LozaOlga Loza
Interesting... My attachment came as "Weekly_UG_Recruitment_NL.csv.html". Once I licked, it opened in a browser with message "Attachment not opening? Click this link: Weekly_UG_Recruitment_NL.csv" and the CSV file was a link so I was able to open it fine.  This is the first time I see this weird formatting with HTML attachment. Does anyone else see the same?
Jesse Cover 3Jesse Cover 3
Thank you Fabien!!!! Your solution worked.  I have been dealing with this for almost a week.  

Quote Fabien - "In additon to best answer by sfdcfox:
If you have a user working in Lightning Experience, you have to append the URL Parameter isdtp=p1 to the report URL to avoid lightning redirection, which results in an html redirect page output instead of the report results."
CYNTHIA GARCIACYNTHIA GARCIA
Hi, @Naveen Reddy 8

The problem it generates is solved, adding the following values ​​to the URL:

ApexPages.PageReference report = new ApexPages.PageReference('/REPORT_ID?csv=1&exp=1&enc=UTF-8&isdtp=p1');
where should you replace "REPORT_ID" for the ID of you report

MUKESH ENDALMUKESH ENDAL
Awesome @Cynthia Garcia. It worked 
CYNTHIA GARCIACYNTHIA GARCIA
¡Great! @MUKESH ENDAL , A pleasure to help
Adrian GardinerAdrian Gardiner
Hi Guys 

So I am wondering being able to use this functionality to be able to run a report based off the user clicking a custom button, that the report would then be run, and generate the csv drop out to be placed on a secure external URL for further prcessing. 

The use case is to be able to export all relative client investment policies, Related to a singular client, to an external reporting tool, for disbursement of the client. 
Would the apex coding be able to facilitate such a condition? 
We are using this to email Excel reports.  The issue we have is that it is sending the Formatted version instead of the Details Only .xls.  Anyway to ensure it sends the Details Only version?
kalam jikalam ji
@NIcole Warshauer  by making below code change you are getting the attachment in Formatted version ? can you please share code scrrenshot 
    we are looking for it

ApexPages.PageReference report = new ApexPages.PageReference('/' + e.Report_ID__c + '?excel=1');
  attachment.setFileName(e.Attachment_Name__c+'.xls');

Thanksin Advance 
Ram k 86Ram k 86
How can i place apex generated report in shared location like c drive or any other location? Apart from sending report as a email attachment!
Monique AmmiMonique Ammi
Greetings, Our apologies for the delayed response. The CIBMTR Center Maintenance team currently works first on the questions and requests submitted via CIBMTR Center Support and works out of this inbox as time permits. The link to CIBMTR Center Support is https;//nmdp.service-now.com/csm. If you do not have an active * NMDP account, please let us know if you still required assistance with this. We will create a support ticket on your behalf and send you the number. The team will contact you soon thereafter. If you already submitted a support ticket for this issue via CIBMTR Center Support, there is no need to reply to this message. We trust that your question or request has already been taken care of by the team. Thank you, Pamilia Lee CIBMTR Center Maintenance Center Updates and Questions CIBMTR® | Minneapolis 500 N 5th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55401-1206 P: 763.406.8530 | F: 763.406.5749 | cibmtr-centermaintenance@nmdp.org | www.cibmtr.org [cid:image001.png@01D7844D.C87DE100] CIBMTR® is a research collaboration between the National Marrow Donor Program® (NMDP)/Be The Match® and the Medical College of Wisconsin. [cid:image002.png@01D7844D.C87DE100] [cid:image003.png@01D7844D.C87DE100]
Michael TomarMichael Tomar
Hi! In case you don't want spending much time on developing your own solution for this scenario, take a look at Skyvia. It's a cloud solution, that allows you to automate your manual work without coding. 
So you can get your Salesforce reports to CSV format and then export them to FTP (or another file storage). Follow this link to learn more: https://skyvia.com/data-integration/integrate-salesforce-ftp