function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ethanoneethanone 

Can't insert RecordType using data loader

I'm mapping fields for a migration of legacy data into a custom object.  For whatever reason, the RecordType field is not available for me to map to.  The RecordTypeID field is available, however, but to use that I'd have to update my CSV with Salesforce's RecordTypeID hash. Updating the CSV does not seem like the right answer and it will become a problem later. Anyone know how to fix this or a workaround?
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
MarkSilberMarkSilber
Record Type ID is all you will be able to use with Data Loader. You should be able to export all the Record Types from the Record Type object and then either do a VLOOKUP with Excel, or manually perform the update to your data before you load it as you stated.

All Answers

MarkSilberMarkSilber
Record Type ID is all you will be able to use with Data Loader. You should be able to export all the Record Types from the Record Type object and then either do a VLOOKUP with Excel, or manually perform the update to your data before you load it as you stated.
This was selected as the best answer
ethanoneethanone
Thanks for the feedback. That is what I was afraid of.  I thought it might be a problem when I need to do that for the 300k+ records I need to insert. And it adds a another step to what is becoming a seemingly thousand-step process to migrate the data.
DTJitsDTJits

I'm trying to mass update (change) record types through the data loader and have manually changed the record type ID's and tried to upsert through data loader and I get an error message that it can't be mapped...what am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

MarkSilberMarkSilber

Are you getting the error while running it or before you are actually able to run it? If you're getting errors while running it, make sure your Profile has access to all the Record Types you are trying to update.

Mukesh Kumar 107Mukesh Kumar 107
make sure your profile have access to RecordType. If not, udate your profile to grant access to the RecordType by selecting it from the available list of RecordType. If you want to user the Data Loader you would have to do manual mapping. 
Here are few other reference text to look for if you are still getting error.

Error: Insufficient access rights to object ID / insufficient access rights on cross-reference id
Cause: User performing the action does not have access to the records or object being referenced. For example:
A record you are referencing is deleted
A record are referencing never existed (for example, due to a typo in the id)
A record you are referencing exists but is not shared with the record owner of the record you are inserting or updating
A record you are referencing exists but is not shared with the user running the insert or update
You don't have access to the record type that is being assigned to the record.