function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ethanoneethanone 

Add Field to Notes

I'm trying to import legacy data and the Notes (and Attachments) seems to be the most logical area to put my data, but I need to create a new field in the Notes related object.  Is that even possible?  Should I just make a custom object as an Account child object?
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
snugglessnuggles

hey ethanone,

so there is no native way to add fields to the notes object and the platform does not provide additional flexibility with the model layer as it does with the view/controller layers (apex and visualforce).  If you do need the additional field, your best bet will be to create a custom object with a long text field, but the trade off will be sacrificing the other native behavior of notes.

All Answers

snugglessnuggles

hey ethanone,

so there is no native way to add fields to the notes object and the platform does not provide additional flexibility with the model layer as it does with the view/controller layers (apex and visualforce).  If you do need the additional field, your best bet will be to create a custom object with a long text field, but the trade off will be sacrificing the other native behavior of notes.

This was selected as the best answer
spanky340spanky340

It seems crazy that the Notes object can't be customized! 

We would really love to create a Note Type custom field.  Without the ability to filter the Notes in this way, it makes searching for information a very long process for us.

I've added this to the IdeaExchange.

Cheers.