function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
GreenDreamGroupGreenDreamGroup 

How do I create a formatted, deliverable, paper report out of Salesforce fields?

I'm totally lost. I've taken 2 webinars, read through a pile of docs, and haven't found what I'm looking for.  I know I should be able to create a printout with our logo on it and with data from salesforce, because I saw one for 2 seconds in a webinar.  I don't need a bunch of software functionality, customer interaction, or crazy reporting for our own records, I'm just trying to get away from using Excel when all of the same information is already in salesforce!  Can anybody help me?  I'd rather not read through the entirety of the fundamentals when I know what I'm trying to do is straightforward and I can't imagine it requires a ton of know-how.  I just don't know software developer lingo, so when I think of what I want, I call it a 'report' even though that's not at all what the search engine will think I mean.

I've written pretty extensive Excel templates for our company (we basically do home inspections) and I heard that if I can do that, writing an app that will do the same thing should be a cinch.  Just can't find the first stair!

THANK YOU.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
snugglessnuggles

Hi GreenDreamGroup,

there are a few options for getting info out of salesforce into something printable.  If you are trying to get info from just a single record, i would suggest you try mail merge.  This works with word and you can essentially populate a bunch of record information into a word doc.  You can get lists of information to work in mail merge as well.  You can also do email templates this way but it sounds like you wanted a print out.  if you are trying to get information across multiple records, like aggregate reporting, you will need to visit the reports tab.  From here you can quickly build reports to get all the information, and you can export to excel.  I don't think there is a lot in the way of formatting with letterheads, but this might be somethign you can do once you're in excel. if you are particular about formatting you could always build your reports with a custom visaulforce page to get the info to display exactly how you want, but this requires some web development background.  I might also check the idea exachagne to see if there is anyone out there that has made something to that effect.

All Answers

snugglessnuggles

Hi GreenDreamGroup,

there are a few options for getting info out of salesforce into something printable.  If you are trying to get info from just a single record, i would suggest you try mail merge.  This works with word and you can essentially populate a bunch of record information into a word doc.  You can get lists of information to work in mail merge as well.  You can also do email templates this way but it sounds like you wanted a print out.  if you are trying to get information across multiple records, like aggregate reporting, you will need to visit the reports tab.  From here you can quickly build reports to get all the information, and you can export to excel.  I don't think there is a lot in the way of formatting with letterheads, but this might be somethign you can do once you're in excel. if you are particular about formatting you could always build your reports with a custom visaulforce page to get the info to display exactly how you want, but this requires some web development background.  I might also check the idea exachagne to see if there is anyone out there that has made something to that effect.

This was selected as the best answer
GreenDreamGroupGreenDreamGroup
Mail Merge!  Great.  Thanks, I would've guessed it had to do with email, not populating Word docs.  I really appreciate the help.