function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Eager-2-LearnEager-2-Learn 

Combo field

Hello,

In the Professional version, is there a way to force validation on a field (we will call it field B) based on the particular item you select in a combo box.  For example, if the options in the combo box are 'test1', 'test2', and 'test3' and the requirement is not to allow the record to be saved if field B is empty and the combo box contains 'test1' or 'test3'; however, if the combo box contains 'test2' and field B is empty (null) then the record is ok to save.

In addition, I am trying to clearly understand the differences between the various versions and ORG, DEVELOPER, SAND BOX, etc.  Can anyone point me to the documention that gives me a better understanding of the various environments.

Thanks,
Tom

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
snugglessnuggles

You can do the validation you are talking about with a custom validation rule.  If you go to SETUP--> Customize --> [CHOOSE AN OBJECT] --> VALIDATION RULES.  For custom objects, go to the custom object and find the validation rules displayed as a related list.

Here is an edition comparison page:

http://www.salesforce.com/crm/editions-pricing.jsp

but this will have the major editions, not developer/etc.  A sandbox will mirrior what ever environment it was created from but will give you the option to author apex.

All Answers

snugglessnuggles

You can do the validation you are talking about with a custom validation rule.  If you go to SETUP--> Customize --> [CHOOSE AN OBJECT] --> VALIDATION RULES.  For custom objects, go to the custom object and find the validation rules displayed as a related list.

Here is an edition comparison page:

http://www.salesforce.com/crm/editions-pricing.jsp

but this will have the major editions, not developer/etc.  A sandbox will mirrior what ever environment it was created from but will give you the option to author apex.

This was selected as the best answer
Eager-2-LearnEager-2-Learn

Thank you for the information.  How do I mark this post stream Resolved.

I never had a chance to actually try your suggestion because they changed the requirements on me!

Thanks

snugglessnuggles
i think you just click the green solution button. i clicked it!