function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jimc507jimc507 

Knowledge Articles Import Question

Hi, we are currently in the process of migrating user guides that are currently authored and published using MadCap. The documents are published to WebHelp (XHTML) and PDF formats. We are trying to import the web documents into Knowledge, and for the most part the documents import fine. We have a couple of issues though that I am hoping to get help on.

The documents have internal links, which are relative to other documents ,either to different pages or within the same page. Whenever a document is imported, the relative links are removed. Any fully qualified URL's are kept intact but the target referenced is changed to open the document in a new window.  

My idea is to write a pre-import tool that will call an apex class to display the article (i.e. /apex/KAViewer?UrlName=URLNameTitle

where URLName is the value stored in the URLName field of the Article Type. However, how can we specify a relative link in the documents. If the path has to be fully qualified, we would run into a maintenance issue with making sure we are using the correct SFDC domain. Also, is there a way to not have the target change. Opening a new browser for each link would be a usability issue.

Has anyone come across this issue with relative links in documents?

Thanks,

Jim

NBlasgenNBlasgen

I'd love to see what kind of feedback you get on this.  My suggestion is likely going to involve contacting Salesforce on this one.  Knowlege is something that so few people know anything about and it's really not a very well refined product in general.  I love the idea behind it, but it's not the greatest product as of yet.  But every few months they update some feature of Knowlege so I'm hoping that in the near future the product will work a tad better than it does right now.

ddennhardtddennhardt

I too am interested in this particular problem.  We're looking at importing articles which would have references to other articles contained within the SFDC KB - does anyone know of a way to generate relative references to other articles that live in the KB?  Perhaps there is a way to pull the domain and relevant paramaters to create the link at publish-time?

etienne.giraudyetienne.giraudy

Hi,

This feature is currently not supported in Knowledge.

However this is in our radar: http://success.salesforce.com/ideaView?c=09a30000000D9xt&id=08730000000GqO2AAK

Thanks

Etienne

jimc507jimc507

What we ended up doing was write a Java tool that packaged all of the files into a zip archive to be used by the Import Articles tool in SFDC. Prior to adding these files we altered the <a href tags to make all specified related links fully qualified. We then wrote a custom article view controller in APEX to modify the links to work in SFDC. This took a little time and effort and is a hack, but it was the only solution until the features are added into knowledge.

CevicheroCevichero

Hi Jim,

We have the exact same requirement, I am also developing a Python script that converts a list of HTML files into a csv file that can be imported to Salesforce but I am still struggling with the part of keeping the article reference. Is there any chance you can share apex class you created for this? or at least the logic used ?:)

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Naveen KNNaveen KN

Effective ways to export articles from Salesforce sandbox 
https://www.codekiat.com/2020/04/export-knowledge-articles-salesforce.html 

--
Naveen K N