function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
rtenazasrtenazas 

Can an ISV app add fields to Sales Cloud Objects?

If I wanted to create an app that would be deployed in existing Sales Cloud orgs, how can my app include new fields for existing Sales Cloud objects, such as Opportunities or Accounts?  I went through the ISV workbook, but it only shows how to add entirely new objects and tabs.  If the app needs to add fields to the Opportunity object, how could that be packaged?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Devendra@SFDCDevendra@SFDC

Hi,

In your case, Opportunity being a Standard object, you can no directly override these customizations from package.

You need to make those changes into subscribers org.

You can create a Custom Pagelayout for Opporunity, send it through managed package. When user install your app, he needs to assign this new layout for Profiles.

User will have to make these customization in their org. We can not directly override these customizations for standard object thrugh managed package.

Please refer this post:

http://boards.developerforce.com/t5/Visualforce-Development/Using-Standard-Object-in-Managed-Package/td-p/312207

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Devendra

All Answers

Chris JohnChris John

In your developer org you would just add the custom fields to Account, Opportunity etc then when adding components to the package, the custom field components should be available under the 'Custom Field' component type.

-cj

rtenazasrtenazas

John,

Thanks.  That got me partway through.  However, there is still a problem.

I added a custom field to Opportunities n my dev org.  I could see the new custom field in the layout of the Opportunities tab ( I added it to the topmost section).  I also added the Opportunities tab to my Dev Org's tab bar.

Then, I created the package, adding the new custom field to the components of the app.  When I uploaded the package, then installed it in my Test org, the Opportunities tab was not showing, and neither was the new custom field.  I could add the new custom field to the Opportunities page using the page editor, but I don't want all my users to have to do that!

So, I went back into the Dev Org and updated the package components to include the Opportunities page layout.  I uploaded and deployed that package to the Test Org.  However, the old Opportunities page layout remained (no new custom field).  I had to select to edit the Opportunities page layout, at which time I saw that there were 2 versions of it: the old one, and the one installed by the package.  I had to delete the old page layout, and select the page layout of the installed package.

What should I have done so that the page layout in my package (with the new custom field) would have been set as the Opportunities tab's page layout upon deployment (with no need for the user to do anything)?

Thanks,

Rene

Devendra@SFDCDevendra@SFDC

Hi,

In your case, Opportunity being a Standard object, you can no directly override these customizations from package.

You need to make those changes into subscribers org.

You can create a Custom Pagelayout for Opporunity, send it through managed package. When user install your app, he needs to assign this new layout for Profiles.

User will have to make these customization in their org. We can not directly override these customizations for standard object thrugh managed package.

Please refer this post:

http://boards.developerforce.com/t5/Visualforce-Development/Using-Standard-Object-in-Managed-Package/td-p/312207

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Devendra

This was selected as the best answer
rtenazasrtenazas

Thanks, Devendra!  That clarifies things for me.