function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JimmyPomJimmyPom 

APEX Trigger or Custom Button?

Hi guys!

I need some advice on wether I should be learning / writing an APEX trigger, or wether a custom button would be better for my application.

I have the 'Cases' Related List in my Opportunities Section. My Cases object has 3x Record Types (New Warranty Service, New Installation Service & New Maintenance Service)

Under My Opportunity, I want to have the three buttons on the cases related list (New Warranty Service, New Installation Service & New Maintenance Service). Once they are clicked, I need different information from the opportunity to populate each different record type.

Am I best to use a custom button and 'URL HACK' it to populate these field, or should I look into writing an APEX tigger to 'future proof' my SFDC instance? I have been told that the 'URL HACK' is really just a temporary fix if SFDC decide to update field names etc, they will break.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jimmy.

manuel-jose-condemanuel-jose-conde

hi Jimmy,

our first option for a solution should be based on speed of implementation, complexity and how  easy is to maintain that solution therefore, in salesforce.com,  that  means we should try first a solution that requires only poin-and-click  changes - no apex/visualforce development.

Your requirement can be fulfilled with 3 list buttons that pre-select the recordtype and other fields from the Opportunity. I believe this is what you are suggesting but you doubt about the support of sfdc on this. I can tell you that we have this in many areas in our org and for a long time, never had a problem with a sfdc release.

Regards

Manuel

_Prasu__Prasu_

Fieldnames wont change frequently so you should use URL HACK and you can save lots of time which can be use for updating it later on if fieldname changes ;)