function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SFDC_LearnerSFDC_Learner 

Profiles Vs Organization wide defalult permissions

HI,

To give permissions (create,edit,delete,view)on a particular object we use profiles.

But in sharing settings sections we can find the feature called organization wide default. Here we can give the public readonly, public read/write ..... permissions. 

what is the difference between these profile based and organization wide default permissions?

I observed that, profile will overides org wide default permissions. is it right? if it is correct then  which situation we use the org wide default settings for an org once we have profile permissions?

please clarify this

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
matermortsmatermorts

PB is right.

The only time this is not true is when you have "view all data" or "modify all data" selected at the profile level, that will override the org wide defaults. "View all data" and "modify all data" are default selected for the system admin profile. Perhaps, if you're a system admin, this is why you're experiencing the apparent override.

All Answers

TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

OWD's control the visibilty to the records, profiles determin what the user can do with the records.

PB

matermortsmatermorts

PB is right.

The only time this is not true is when you have "view all data" or "modify all data" selected at the profile level, that will override the org wide defaults. "View all data" and "modify all data" are default selected for the system admin profile. Perhaps, if you're a system admin, this is why you're experiencing the apparent override.

This was selected as the best answer
Cynthia RyanCynthia Ryan
My User Id is having the system administrator profile which has "customize application" selected.  I'm not finding where to see the Org wide default.  I'm not able to see the Edit button on Setup.
Kumar SarathyKumar Sarathy
To see the Org wide settings - In Setup, search for Sharing Settings.