function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jgreene.ax1178jgreene.ax1178 

Auto Number Field

I'm wondering if I can upload a set of numbers in a different software (other than salesforce) into a salesforce auto number field without the upload doc numbers being changed?

Will the excel numbers I place in the salesforce auto-number field stay the same?  Or change based upon the auto-field function?

Thanks!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Noam.dganiNoam.dgani

Hi jgreene

What i understood you want is to set the value of an auto-number field, am i right? (phrasing was a bit off in the question).

if so, you can change the field type of the field from auto-number to text, for the duration of the data fix, populate your values from the external system, and then change it again to auto-number after the data fix is over.

All Answers

Noam.dganiNoam.dgani

Hi jgreene

What i understood you want is to set the value of an auto-number field, am i right? (phrasing was a bit off in the question).

if so, you can change the field type of the field from auto-number to text, for the duration of the data fix, populate your values from the external system, and then change it again to auto-number after the data fix is over.

This was selected as the best answer
jgreene.ax1178jgreene.ax1178

Awesome - thanks for the suggestion - that should work perfect!!

-JG