function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
j_r_roj_r_ro 

Creating vs refreshing a sandbox

Hi all,

Could someone explain what the difference is (if there is any) between creating a new sandbox, and refreshing an existing sandbox? With regards to the resulting state of the sandbox. I haven't managed to find any information about this.

Mainly, I would like to know what happens to any data/apps in the sandbox after the refresh? E.g. are they all maintained, or deleted on refresh?

Thanks.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
wt35wt35

There is technically no difference.

You just get a certain amount of sandbox licenses with your org.

When creating a new sandbox, you get an up-to-date copy of your production, and it takes up one sandbox license.

When refreshing an existing a sandbox, you get an up-to-date copy of your production, without taking up one more license.

All Answers

Sri549Sri549

Hi j r ro,

Go through this link provided Comaprison of Refresh and creating a new sandbox..If you dont get the requireds stuff just ping me.

I will explain you clearly.

Thanks

Srinivas

wt35wt35

There is technically no difference.

You just get a certain amount of sandbox licenses with your org.

When creating a new sandbox, you get an up-to-date copy of your production, and it takes up one sandbox license.

When refreshing an existing a sandbox, you get an up-to-date copy of your production, without taking up one more license.

This was selected as the best answer
Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi J_r_o, 

Creating a new Sandbox is like creating a New Copy of your Existing Org.

There are different types of Sandboxes based on what type of Data (Records) will be copied to your newly created Sandbox. 

Based on the Type of the Sandbox it has timeline when it can be Refreshed again. 

Where as Refreshing is like updating our test environment(Sandbox) to the Current Production State. 

Once a Sandbox is created it will remain with the configuration as of the Production at the Created Time, there by we can add our customizations. 

If you wish to again refresh the Sandbox to the Current existing Production stage - the Sandbox Changes till the moment will be lost and again Sandbox will be a replica of Production configuration. 

See the H&T link for more info: http://help.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/create_test_instance.htm

Reply back if you have any further questions. 

Regards,

Ashish, Salesforce.com

If your question is answered, please accept this post as solved.