function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MegachuckmcMegachuckmc 

Help on Apex Data Loader Error

Using Apex Data Loader 14.0 I get an error message trying to run from the CLI...

"Empty salesforce.com username specified."

The problem is that this worked before...!

Any clues as to where/what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

C:\Program Files\salesforce.com\Apex Data Loader 14.0\bin>process ../conf
2009-03-23 12:12:55,604 INFO  [main] controller.Controller initLog (Controller.java:388) - The log has been initialized
2009-03-23 12:12:55,635 INFO  [main] controller.Controller initConfig (Controller.java:343) - The controller config has been initialized
2009-03-23 12:12:55,635 INFO  [main] process.ProcessRunner run (ProcessRunner.java:102) - Initializing process engine
2009-03-23 12:12:55,635 INFO  [main] process.ProcessRunner run (ProcessRunner.java:105) - Loading parameters
2009-03-23 12:12:55,635 INFO  [main] config.LastRun load (LastRun.java:101) - Last run info will be saved in file: C:\Program Files\salesforce.com\Apex Data Loader 14.0\bin\..\conf\null_lastRun.properties
2009-03-23 12:12:55,651 INFO  [main] process.ProcessRunner run (ProcessRunner.java:114) - Logging in to:
https://test.salesforce.com
2009-03-23 12:12:55,667 ERROR [main] client.PartnerClient setBindingProperties (PartnerClient.java:268) - Empty salesforce.com username specified.  Please make sure that parameter sfdc.username is set to correct username.
2009-03-23 12:12:55,667 ERROR [main] process.ProcessRunner run (ProcessRunner.java:150) - Empty salesforce.com username specified.  Please make sure that parameter sfdc.username is set to correct username.

Mike

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bwiebebwiebe

Hi Mike,

I recently had a similar issue.  In my scenario - I had been running a number of tests with different instances of the process-config.xml file.

During my tests - I had mistakenly renamed the file to "process-config_orig.xml" - without adding another process-config.xml file to the same "\conf" folder.  So basically, the file no longer existed.

Instead of complaining about a missing file - it appears Data Loader started to run validation checks on the process-config.xml file - even though it was missing.  The first validation check it ran - appears to have been the check for a valid salesforce.com username.

Hopefully this helps in your troubleshooting -e.g.) ensuring that all references to the file are correct and that the file is named correctly etc..

Thanks,

Brian 

All Answers

bwiebebwiebe

Hi Mike,

I recently had a similar issue.  In my scenario - I had been running a number of tests with different instances of the process-config.xml file.

During my tests - I had mistakenly renamed the file to "process-config_orig.xml" - without adding another process-config.xml file to the same "\conf" folder.  So basically, the file no longer existed.

Instead of complaining about a missing file - it appears Data Loader started to run validation checks on the process-config.xml file - even though it was missing.  The first validation check it ran - appears to have been the check for a valid salesforce.com username.

Hopefully this helps in your troubleshooting -e.g.) ensuring that all references to the file are correct and that the file is named correctly etc..

Thanks,

Brian 

This was selected as the best answer
MegachuckmcMegachuckmc

Thanks Brian!

That's exactly what I came up with.  I was testing different scenarios and didn't properly rename a path in the config file.  User error of course, but the error messaes were 'misleading' to say the least.  anyway, all is working fine now.

Thanks again for your post.  It's nice to know that someone out there is actually reading these posts :smileywink:

Mike

bwiebebwiebe

Great - glad to hear it.  

I am actually in Salesforce.com Professional Services and have logged this with our Product Management - so hopefully we can add some more helpful error messages.

Thanks,

Brian