function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
hideawayguyhideawayguy 

related list not showing up on custom object

hello again folks.

i have a custom object A, with a master detail relationship to custom object B (A master, B Detail). I have another custom object C that has a lookup field to custom object B. 

i have added the related list for custom object B to the layout page for custom object C. However, when i associate B to C via the lookup field on object C (mapped to B), it does not show up in the related list on the details page for C.

any thought are much appreciated.

thanks

dustin 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
fgwarb_1fgwarb_1

Thanks,

I suspect that the Room__c.Booking__c field isn't populated with the Id of the Booking__c record that you are looking at.  

What is the ID of the Booking__c record, and what is the value of the Room__c.Booking__c field?

All Answers

fgwarb_1fgwarb_1

Based on the way you describe the relationships A would have a related list of child B objects, and B would have a related list of child C objects, while since C has no children there would be no related list....

UNLESS, there is a lookup field on B that points to C, in which case the related list on object C would only display those records where B.C__c is equal to the Id of the C__c record being viewed.

Hope that makes sense (and is right)!

hideawayguyhideawayguy

makes some sense! :) let me update the scenario....

I have custom object Hotel__c (Master), custom object Room__c (Detail to Hotel__c master/detail relationship), and then i have Booking__c....

Booking__c has a lookup to Room__c

Room__c has a lookup to Booking__c

i have a hotel called the great inn, with a room called the great room, and a booking called the great booking. the lookups are populated on all object records to associate them all together.

on the Room__c detail page in the Booking__c related list, the great room booking shows up as expected. however, on the Booking__c detail page in the Room__c related list, the great room does not show in the list as i expect it to. 

i must be missing something here because it seems like the room should be showing up in the related list on the booking, and that's what i need to happen. 

thanks for your time and help! let me know if you see me doing something wrong here...

thanks

dustin

fgwarb_1fgwarb_1

Thanks,

I suspect that the Room__c.Booking__c field isn't populated with the Id of the Booking__c record that you are looking at.  

What is the ID of the Booking__c record, and what is the value of the Room__c.Booking__c field?

This was selected as the best answer
hideawayguyhideawayguy

ahhhh!!! i can't believe i missed that one. room__c wasn't populating after the booking__c was created - only the other way around...

thank you so much for you help!

dustin