function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Iceman123Iceman123 

Email To Case (On Demand): Cases created not associated to original email sender

We are evaluating Email to Case (On Demand).   It looks like the way it works out of the box is when we forward emails from support@company.com to the SF routing address, because the FromAddress for all the forwards is set to support@company.com, then all cases created via Email to Case (On Demand) will automatically have the Contact field set to a contact record for support@company.com (instead of the actual customer contact account for the person who sent the original email to support@company.com).  

What is the recommended (best practice) way to tackle this without having to write something like an after Insert case trigger to update the Contact relationship and parsing the TextBody of the email from the EmailMessage object to determine the true "sender"'s email address?

thx!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
*werewolf**werewolf*

Note that I have some info around that in this old blog post from when it first came out.

All Answers

flewellsflewells
The easiest way to address this is to make support@company.com your email to case routing address. But maybe you can't do that because not all emails sent to support@company.com need to have a case?
TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

Do you have a an automatic fowarder on the box? I have over 15 e-mail to cases being fowarded from our exchange server with no issues.

I think it lies in your inbox setting, not SFDC.

PB

Iceman123Iceman123

I think this might be related to the way we forward emails from support@company.com to the SF mailbox address.  We are currently using a rule setup within Outlook which does an actual forward of the email to the SF mailbox address (which means that the From email will always be support@company.com).  I will check with our IT group to see if they can do the forwarding on the server side so that the From email address for the actual sender will be retained.  thx!

TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

What we did was turned the box into a contact so that it did not store the e-mail in the box (Otherwise down the line the box will fill up) and put a foward on the contact.

Hope this helps!

PB

*werewolf**werewolf*

Note that I have some info around that in this old blog post from when it first came out.

This was selected as the best answer
Iceman123Iceman123

Thanks all, this is very helpful and the blog post also answers some of the other questions I have :)

Nathaniel SombuNathaniel Sombu

We had this problem when evaluating email to case. The resolution for this was really simple. Instead of setting up an Outlook rule to forward messages to SDFC we set up a rule to redirect messages to SFDC. This retains the original email address in the from header of the email