function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jgreene.ax1178jgreene.ax1178 

Map Contact Fields to Opportunity?

Hey all!

I'm wanting to map contact fields to my opportunities, but I don't want to have to use a trigger for this.

Is there a way (or two) that I could do this through using w/f's?

Thanks!

-Jake

AdrianCCAdrianCC

Hi,

What's the relationship between the 2 objects? The standard one through Account, where both Oppty and Contact are children of the Account? What happens if there are multiple opportunities and multiple contacts, how do you plan on matching them? What kind of fields do you want to map?

Ty,

Adrian

jgreene.ax1178jgreene.ax1178

Hi, AdrianCC!

We really don't use the Account - it's created, but that's about it.

Mainly we create opportunities when the contact hits a certain lifecycle status.  The fields we need to map are basic text fields and maybe some picklists.

There could be multiple opportunities on one contact - but hopefully the same info would map from the contact to the opportunity every time a new opp is created.

Make sense?

Thanks!

AdrianCCAdrianCC

Okay, so you are using the standard structure with the Account in the middle. Like 1 contact related to 1 account that can have multiple oppties.

You'll need to create some helper fields on the Account level - the same ones as in the Contact. Create 1 or more WF rules on the Contact to copy over those fields from the Contact to the Account. 

So you have Custom_Field__c on Contact and the same on Account. The WF will fire on create and everytime is edited and copy Custom_Field__c to Account : Custom_Field__c

Now you can use this field on the account to populate the coresponding one on the Oppty - this wf rule will be on the Opportunity.

The Account will act as a buffer between data from Contact and Oppty

The only problem that I see is that you can create multiple Cotnacts for an Account, so data might get overwritten when it gets at the oppty level

Ty,

Adrian

PS: this should work for the text fields, but for the picklists I'm not so sure - those are 'special' :| fields. The buffer field on the Account might need to be created as text for the picklist, and the same for the one on the oppty.