function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TonyFTonyF 

strange error: 'sforce_connect1.xls' could not be found.

I got great advice from a recent post, so maybe someone can help me with a sporadic message I receive, usually when opening a new Excel sheet after successfully running some queries (both insert and update).

The message is:

'sforce_connect1.xls' could not be found.  Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct.  If you are tyring to open the file from your list of most recently used files on the File menu, make sure that the file has not been renamed, moved, or deleted.

Of course, I have never opened or created a file named sforce_connect nor sforce_connect1.

I am running sforce version 5.51, Excel 2003 (SP1) and have gotten this message both on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP Professional (SP 2)

I have tried logging out (same error message), and it seems to trap me in an endless loop of error messages.

Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Bwhit04Bwhit04

The last time this happened to me I followed Ron's steps to clear the entry from the add-ins folder and then deleted the toolbar (instead of just hiding the bar).  

Did this by clicking View -->  Toolbars -> Customize.  Select 'sForce Connector' and click Delete.  Then close and open excel and install the add-in again. Worked fine for me after that....good luck.

All Answers

Ron HessRon Hess

Sounds like you may have a toolbar from the sforce connector or an entry in your Tools Add-ins which is looking for this file.

here are some steps to remove these entries from your Excel application.

---------------------------------------

If you move the file (sforce_connect.xla) you may have to uninstall the entry in the Add-In list of Excel and re-install it from the new location.

This sounds easy, but it can be tricky because Excel thinks the old file exists until you really clear out the toolbar and entry from the add-in folder

I use steps like this

Open Excel

click Tools, Add-Ins

uncheck the sforce_connect checkbox, click OK

close Excel

Open Excel again, if the "sforce_connector" menu bar is still there, right click on the tool bar area of excel, uncheck the sforce Connector check box

close Excel

open Excel

If the bar is gone and the Add-INs list is showing the add-in as unchecked or gone then you can re-install the add-in from the new file location of the XLA, see the install instructions on the web (http://sforce.sourceforge.net/excel/index.htm)

I wish i could tell you a better way to do this, but these steps work most of the time.

dean.ericksendean.ericksen
I'm getting the same error - and even uninstalling all references to the connector from the system registry, then reinstalling, yields the same error. I love this connector (when it used to work on my old machine) - please advise if there is a workaround that will get it to function.

Thanks.

-Dean
ChrisMcLChrisMcL

One of our clients is also getting this error also. They have never moved the xla file. I find the message peculiar since it is referring to the file as an xls file. This particular client hides their file extensions.

If anyone has this error and corrects it. Could you let this forum know? thanks.

James Wikkerink
Municipal Software

yespeeyespee
I suddenly got this error today.
Was any one able to resolve this.
Please help.
Bwhit04Bwhit04

The last time this happened to me I followed Ron's steps to clear the entry from the add-ins folder and then deleted the toolbar (instead of just hiding the bar).  

Did this by clicking View -->  Toolbars -> Customize.  Select 'sForce Connector' and click Delete.  Then close and open excel and install the add-in again. Worked fine for me after that....good luck.

This was selected as the best answer