function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BantiBanti 

Date field to Text field

Hi,

I have date field , suppose i am selecting 4/3/2013 in date field

i have 3 more fields

Date( text) 

Month( Picklist)

Year( Text) 

i want to auto populate date field value in to these 3 fields by date,month, year 

how can i do this, any help will be appriciated

Thanks in Advance.

Banti

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
gautam_singhgautam_singh

Hi ,

In that Case Dont take it as a Picklist , Take it as a Text and in the Workflow Formula use CASE(expression, value1, result1, value2, result2,...,else_result) . It should provide you with your answer. It should be somewhat like .. CASE(MONTH(Date__c ), 1, 'January', 2, 'February',3,'March',4, 'April',5, 'May',6, 'June',7, 'July',8, 'August',9, 'September')

Hit Kudos if this is or previous message was useful to you . If you find this as a solution to you question then mark it as a solution .

Thank You

All Answers

Prafull G.Prafull G.

You can use Standard Date methods date, month and year to retrieve date, month and year respectively.

Then you can use the retrieved information to use in your 3 other fields.

BantiBanti

not understand, can you post a sample for retrieve date 

Prafull G.Prafull G.

Date myDateInstance = Date.today();

System.debug('--This is actual Date=== ' + myDateInstance);

//Now use date methods to retrieve
//Date
Integer myDay = myDateInstance.day();
// Month
Integer myMonth = myDateInstance.month();
// Year
Integer myYear = myDateInstance.year();

System.debug('Day=== ' + myDay);
System.debug('Month=== ' + myMonth);
System.debug('Year=== ' + myYear);

Please note that all above values are of Integer type so you need to change them to String before assigning to the 3 fields. AND for month picklist you may have to check what value you are using. If its not number i.e. it is Month Name, JAN, FEB etc then you need to convert the myMonth number to Name accordingly.

-Prafull

gautam_singhgautam_singh

Hi

If you are using visualforce page then you can do in get the Day , Time , Year using the Date Methods you can easily get through . Click Here for Details about Date Methods.

Moreover, if thats a standard page you need to alter adjust your schema a bit .You will get the fields after the reocrds are Saved. Make all of Day , Month and Year Field as "Number" Datatype

For this ...

1. Create a Workflow on your custom Object with entry criteria "Test Object: DateNOT EQUAL TOnull"

2. Add 3 Email Alert for each of Day , Month , Year and in their "Evaluate to Formulaes" write

a Formula Value        MONTH(Date__c ) For Month

b Formula Value        YEAR( Date__c ) For Year

c Formula Value:     DAY( Date__c )  For Day

3. Activate the Process and as soon as you Save a record you will get those values

Note : An after Update Triggers can be an equivalent answer to your question if you want the name of Months also to appear .

Important :

Please mark this as an solution if this is seems to provide you useful information and hit Kudo's .

BantiBanti

Hi Gautam sing,

i put field updates for each field, i,e Day, year..working fine

but how can i put for pick list (Month) .?

here is the options for pick list field update

1)The value above the current one

2)The value below the current one

3) A specific value

based on Month from date field i want to populate Month in Month Pick list, how can i.????

gautam_singhgautam_singh

Hi ,

In that Case Dont take it as a Picklist , Take it as a Text and in the Workflow Formula use CASE(expression, value1, result1, value2, result2,...,else_result) . It should provide you with your answer. It should be somewhat like .. CASE(MONTH(Date__c ), 1, 'January', 2, 'February',3,'March',4, 'April',5, 'May',6, 'June',7, 'July',8, 'August',9, 'September')

Hit Kudos if this is or previous message was useful to you . If you find this as a solution to you question then mark it as a solution .

Thank You

This was selected as the best answer
BantiBanti

yeah, done

Thank you Guatham  :) 

Kudos :)