function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
FinnArildFluidoFinnArildFluido 

Live Agent Peculiarities.

I am sometimes amazed how a seemingly simple thing is some times made unneccessary difficult. Say you want to start a Live Agent session and have an input field to type an email address in right away without bothering the user with a pre-chat form. Should be as simple as the following code, right?: 

<html>
    <head>
	<!-- THIS NEEDS TO BE INCLUDED FOR EVERYTHING TO WORK -->
	<script type='text/javascript' src='https://c.la1c1.salesforceliveagent.com/content/g/deployment.js'></script>
	<script type='text/javascript'>
	liveagent.init('https://d.la1c1.salesforceliveagent.com/chat', '572D0000000011K', '00DD0000000oGsq');
	</script>
	<!-- END INCLUDE -->
    </head>
    <body>
	<!-- THIS IS JUST THE HEADER OF THE PAGE -->
	<h1>Chat med en kundebehandler!</h1>

<!-- HERES THE BUTTON CODE FROM SF. ADD CONTENT WHERE THE COMMENT IS -->
	<div id="liveagent_button_online_573D0000000016a" style="display: none;" >
	    <input type="text" name="email" id="chatter_email" onBlur="emailUpdate()"/><br/>
	    <a href="javascript&colon;//Chat" onclick="liveagent.startChat('573D0000000016a')">Fyll inn din e-post og trykk her for å chatte</a>
	</div>
	<div id="liveagent_button_offline_573D0000000016a" style="display: none;">Kundebehandler offline</div>
	<script type="text/javascript">
	    if (!window._laq) { window._laq = []; }
	    window._laq.push(function()
		{liveagent.showWhenOnline('573D0000000016a', document.getElementById('liveagent_button_online_573D0000000016a'));
		liveagent.showWhenOffline('573D0000000016a', document.getElementById('liveagent_button_offline_573D0000000016a'));
	    });
	    function emailUpdate() {
		liveagent.addCustomDetail('Contact E-Mail', document.getElementById('chatter_email').value).map('Contact', 'Email', true, true, false);

}
	</script>
	<!-- END OF BUTTON CODE -->
    </body>
</html>

But no - you get a javascript exception: "you cannot add a detail after page initialization".

In practice this means that you can add whatever you like before you load the page, but if you want the user to input something - you're ... toast (that was not the word I wanted to use, so I leave that up to your imagination). 

Stuff like that irritates me like a red hot poker up the butt.

Thanks for listening :) ...

Sumitkumar_ShingaviSumitkumar_Shingavi
Good observation!
Yaron MeinerYaron Meiner
I found a way to resolve this but it's a bit of a hack. If you add an iframe to a page that can get params and set the vars, you can basically destroy and build the iframe on any change :).

In my case, i built my page in php:
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<script type='text/javascript' src='https://XXXX.salesforceliveagent.com/content/g/js/35.0/deployment.js'></script>

</script>
<script>
<?php foreach($_REQUEST as $key => $value): ?>
  <?php if ( strpos($key,'field-') !== false ): ?>
    liveagent.addCustomDetail('<?php print str_replace("field-","",$key); ?>', '<?php print $value; ?>');
  <?php endif ?>
<?php endforeach;?>
liveagent.init('https://d.la7cs.salesforceliveagent.com/chat', '{some number}', '{someothernumber}');
</script>
<a href="javascript://Chat" id="liveagent_button_online_XXXX" onclick="liveagent.startChat('XXXXX')" style="display: none;">online</a>
<div id="liveagent_button_offline_XXXX" style="display: none;">offline</div>
<script type="text/javascript">
if (!window._laq) { window._laq = []; }
window._laq.push(function(){liveagent.showWhenOnline('XXXX', document.getElementById('liveagent_button_online_XXX'));
liveagent.showWhenOffline('XXXX', document.getElementById('liveagent_button_offline_XXXX'));
});</script>
</body>
</html>

This page actually creates the link on every refresh and the parameters just adds the fields.
John Wu 2John Wu 2
This issue is making it very difficult to integrate Live Chat into our ReactJS customer app.  The app only loads once, but we don't get the customer's details until after they log in.  Would like to see this behavior changed.