function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Krishnam76Krishnam76 

Making Close Date is NOT Required field on Opportunity.

Hi there,

Is it possible to make the standard Close Date field to be NOT required?  I cannot even remove it from the page layout, it does not move.

Basically, the Sales users cannot predict when the Oppty would be closed so they are reluctant to enter the Close Date field.

Thanks

ASTRA_HRASTRA_HR

Hi, sure it is possible to make changes in any field from required to not required(if you are system administrator). 

Here are the steps:

1. Click on Set Up(on the top of page)

2. Click on App Setup

3. Select Module(Leads, Accounts, Opportunites)

4. Click on Page Layout

5. In Page Layot look for Close Date field

6. Select Page Layout Field, on the right corner-Properties to open new window

7. In Properties window, unselect Required field and

8. Click Save

Regards

JMallingJMalling
you can't do this with Stage or Close Date fields for some reason. Any other way?
ASTRA_HRASTRA_HR

if they are standard fields, I'm not sure if you can make any changes , let me check tomorrow and I'll let you know.

ASTRA_HRASTRA_HR

Hi I have searched for a Help and here is what I found:

Salesforce standard fields cannot be deleted. However, many standard fields can be removed from a page layout. To remove a standard field from a page layout, please follow the steps below: 1. Click on: Setup | App Setup | Customize |

. 2. Click on the name of the Page Layout and select "Edit". 3. Click and drag the field from the layout into the floating box to the right. 4. Click "Save". Note: Fields that are displayed in bold are required by salesforce. These fields cannot be removed from the layout. Note: Custom fields in salesforce can be removed from a page layout, as above, or deleted entirely. Be sure to back up your data before deleting custom fields from salesforce, as all data in the fields will be lost when the field is deleted.
Have you tried this?
regards
JAW99JAW99

this does not work with close date, FYI to all who serch for this, hoping for some control over their system.

Michael BobeeMichael Bobee
Knowledge Article Number: 000004357 - You cannot remove this field from the layout nor can you toggle the ability to make it optional. This is languishing as an Idea, but we're stuck with it.
Kyle WarwickKyle Warwick
A little late to the topic, but as has been noted, there are several "always on layout" fields as determined by Salesforce that cannot be removed or un-required.
There is an active Community Idea to adjust this functionality in the future. Please take a minute to vote and comment on the idea here (https://success.salesforce.com/ideaView?id=08730000000BqEzAAK).