function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Daniel BallingerDaniel Ballinger 

Logging from a deployed managed package

I'm aware that when a managed package is deployed into an Org it is not possible to see log messages generated by apex code in that managed package.

However, Ideas: Display managed package logs in subscriber orgs is marked as "Delivered (Archive)".I couldn't find any documentation or direct link to what was delivered or how the issue was resolved.

Is there some new functionality delivered from the above idea that would allow me as the managed packaged creator to access the log messages?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
aalbertaalbert

Great question - and yes, there is new functionality that came out in the last release (Winter '12). Hopefully you are using LMA (License Managing Application) with your Managed Package. If so, starting with the Winter '12 release, you will see a new tab called Subscriber Support (or maybe just Subscriber...). Click that Tab. You will see a record of each customer which has installed your managed package. If the end customer has granted you access, you can login on their behalf. Once logged in their behalf, you can open up the Sytem Log Console , run the specific test case, and the debug logs output in the System Console will show you System.debug messages (since the system knows you are the ISV logged on their behalf). 

In the online help, search for Subscriber Support or Package Support Access to read more about this functionality. 

All Answers

aalbertaalbert

Great question - and yes, there is new functionality that came out in the last release (Winter '12). Hopefully you are using LMA (License Managing Application) with your Managed Package. If so, starting with the Winter '12 release, you will see a new tab called Subscriber Support (or maybe just Subscriber...). Click that Tab. You will see a record of each customer which has installed your managed package. If the end customer has granted you access, you can login on their behalf. Once logged in their behalf, you can open up the Sytem Log Console , run the specific test case, and the debug logs output in the System Console will show you System.debug messages (since the system knows you are the ISV logged on their behalf). 

In the online help, search for Subscriber Support or Package Support Access to read more about this functionality. 

This was selected as the best answer

My managed package is still in Beta while I'm doing some test runs with trial customers. From what I read on Package Support Access — Beta I can't use the new functionality to access the System Log Console as I'm not using LMA yet..

I'll need to look into setting the License Management Application (LMA) up in my Dev org.

I'm assuming that this will work with a Beta package that isn't available on the app exchange yet?

aalbertaalbert

You should not setup LMA in your Developer Org. You also can only setup LMA once and only once for a specific app (meaning you can't switch which LMA your app is associated to). You should setup LMA in your production instance of salesforce.com. If you are not a salesforce.com customer, you can request 2 free CRM licenses as part of the Partner Program: http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/CRM_for_ISV_Partners. 

I don't think you'll be able to associate a Managed-Beta package to your LMA. You will need a Managed-Release package. 

BryanHartBryanHart

I'm having the exact same problem. Beta packages don't show up in the LMA under the package versions, and orgs subscribed to beta packages don't show up under subscribers.

I'm looking into it to a little, but I haven't found any solutions yet. Have you found any new info?

No, not yet.

It seems like a bit of a gap in the Salesforce beta package functionality. A beta package is when I most need to see the logging results so I can resolve any issues when deployed into a test customers org.

I've raised the idea: Expose logging from a Beta managed package in the deployed org

DataintelligenceDataintelligence

hi, aalbert

I followed the link for the free CRM licenses, but the reply from salesforce was that I need to finalize ISV contract with my ISV AE before I can request the partner CRM. I then contacted the ISV AE, but no one replied. Is there another way to request the partner CRM and set up the business org?

Thanks,

aalbertaalbert

Can you please send me your Case # to aalbert@salesforce.com? I'll follow up internally to make sure the right ISV AE reaches out. 

DataintelligenceDataintelligence

Thanks, Albert. I have emailed the case numbert to you.

chesschess

Hi

When you say 'test case' do you mean that if we execute a UI flow, the messages will get logged to the system console or do we have to build up the test case in apex and execute as an anonymous block.

Also, by system console do you mean 'Debug Console' which is available from the setup menu?

Are these messages available from 'Debug Logs' where we are typically accustomed to viewing the logs while developing the app.

asadim2asadim2

Just wanted to say WOW!!! I was about to post the EXACT topic, sentence by sentece, word by word, when I stumbled upon this thread!! I am so deeply shocked at the fact that somebody could possibly say exactly what I was going to say, you know, with all the stuff about that Idea that was marked as "Delivered."

Yeah, so... yep.

pabramspabrams

Anybody responding to chess's question please?

Brent MatzelleBrent Matzelle
If you're looking for beta managed package logging solution then see my answer (http://salesforce.stackexchange.com/a/54175/11744) to the How to check debug logs for installed App? (http://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/12313/how-to-check-debug-logs-for-installed-app) Stack Exchange question. 
Lawrence Krubner 8Lawrence Krubner 8
Any follow up on this? Almost 5 years have passed since this question was asked. Has the logging functionality been extended to apps while they are in beta?

If not, then why not? This is important, and many years have passed.
Privco Salesforce-DeveloperPrivco Salesforce-Developer
4 months later I am still wondering what the latest news is. How do we debug when a beta managed package is in one of our dev test orgs?