function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Norm22Norm22 

Group Edition cannot see custom fields on standard objects

Hello All,

My managed package includes custom fields on standard objects, such as Accounts and Leads.

When using Group Edition, I have no problem viewing these fields when going to Setup -> Customize

However when I query the standard objects using describeObject, the custom fields are not shown, as if they do not exist.

On the flip side, the custom objects that include custom fields show perfectly fine.

I thought perhaps it is an issue with profile security, but it appears that GE does not have profile overrides.

Norm22Norm22

Ahh that is so weird, I figured it out.

On Group Edition, the fields must be added to the page layout. I guess on GE this is what controls the field security.

I don't remember seeing this anywhere in the ISV guide.

aalbertaalbert

You are correct. Group Edition and Professional Edition do not support custom profiles nor field level security. Therefore, the page layout drives api visibility. 

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/packagingGuide/index_Left.htm#StartTopic=Content/dev_packages_ge_pe_access_control.htm

Norm22Norm22
In that case, do you simply include the page layout in the package definitions?

Or do you require the client to make the manual changes?
aalbertaalbert

No. The custom fields will be part of the managed package and get installed. But then the customer's Admin will have to make manual changes.