function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sean434992Sean434992 

OEM Partner - managed app vs unmanaged app. Does it have to be a managed package

We are an OEM partner and last year created an app and went through the security review and were approved.

In our scenario we fully administer the apps and act as the administrator on behalf of our clients.

In addition each client has customizations that could be different between each program.  Are we required to have a managed package if we are fully supporting and administrating each org or can we just have an unmanaged package and handle each org and customizations separately within each org.  Its very complicated with managed apps to have a design locked down when each client can we a little different.

I do understand the implications that we can't "push" updates to orgs by not using a managed package. 

So my questions is as an OEM Partner is it okay to just have an umanaged package?  And just make any customization / tweaks for each client in their particular org.  

BoSoxFanBoSoxFan

As an OEM partner, you have the ability to resell with your managed package a new Org and the Force.com Embedded edition or portal licenses which are tied to your App. Thus, a managed package is required. 

Now, OEM's can use unmanaged packages to help extend the functionality of what the App provids. For example: A managed package includes a custom object called Order. I could install on top of my managed package an unmanaged package that includes a new Order report that may be useful for a specific industry and something not all customers need. The key here is that the unmanged package "extends" what my managed app provides. 

DarrellDDarrellD

If you didn't want to take advantage of the licensing that @BoSox mentions then technically you can have an unmanaged package. But if you expect to sell this to a fair amount of customers you essentially become an implementation partner vs. an OEM if you are doing all kinds of customizations to the app.

If it seems hard managing a managed package, can be much much worse keeping up with what clients have what customizations when using an unmanaged package.