function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
msglsmomsglsmo 

Formula to pull dates from child accounts?

Hi All,

We utilize the Master Parent, Parent and Child relationships for our accounts.  All of our child accounts have a custom date field that we use to indicate when they first began service with us.

It is at all possible to create a Forumula to look at all of the Parent's child accounts and pull the the eariest date from the child's custom date field?

For example,

Parent A

Child 1 - Start Date 1/1/2010

Child 2 - Start Date 6/30/2010

Child 3 - Start Date 8/2/2010

The forumla would pull 1/1/2010 as the start date (since it is the earliest of the three) and put that as the start date for the Parent account.

Any ideas if this is possible through a formula?

Thanks!

netTrekker_ADnetTrekker_AD

I can only find the capability of a formula field on an account based on Parent Account fields, but not the other way around which is what you want.

I will be interested to see if there is a resolution for this because I can see the definite value in it.

msepetamsepeta

I just wanted to bump this thread.

I'm trying to do something similar, where instead of pulling the earliest date, I want to pull the latest date.

Any clues anyone?

rpr2rpr2

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are wanting to do, this would simply be a rollup summary field place on the parent object, with the formula being to find the MAX of your date field from the child.

They are attempting the opposite of what you are suggesting. He wants a reverse roll up summary to take something from the parent and put it on the child. 

msglsmomsglsmo

netTrekker_AD wrote:

They are attempting the opposite of what you are suggesting. He wants a reverse roll up summary to take something from the parent and put it on the child. 

Actually, what we are trying to do is pull dates from the child accounts and use the earliest date from the child accounts as a date field on the parent account.

I guess I did not read your initial post that way. My apologies.

In that case, maybe you can do 3 lookup relationship fields on the parent, pulling Start Date 1, Start Date 2, and Start Date 3, then have a fourth formula field that compares the three fields using a series of IF statements, and populates with the lowest one. You can hide the three lookup relationship fields from the page layout since they are only there to make the fourth field work.

fcathalafcathala
An old question, but for the sake of leaving a (useful?) answer:

I would suggest that you forget about Formulas altogether and try out a Roll-Out Summary on the child, providing the relationship is a Master-Detail which is the case in your example. Then you could use the MIN function as the roll-up type and get your record this way.

Hope this is helpful, take care.
Fabrice