function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
CRMGeneralistCRMGeneralist 

Require Case Comments for each Stage of the Case

We have several stages of cases and we want to require each time they hit a stage they have to update the Case Comments, can this be done easily?
cpierrecpierre

I don't believe this is possible because the Case Comments object/related field is not exposed.

If I'm wrong - someone let me know as we've been interested in this functionality.

MarkSilberMarkSilber

cpierre is right -- the "Internal Comments" field that is displayed on the Case page acts differently from every other field in Salesforce since it copies its contents to make a new comment in the related list and blanks out the field after you save the Case. It's not exposed to Validation rules, so you can't trap it there.

One (not optimal but doesn't require custom code) solution would be to make the Internal Comments field required on the page layout (maybe only for certain record types?). This will force users to update the Internal Comments field every time they edit a Case. Adding other comments, notes, attachments, etc. doesn't use the page in Edit mode, so at least it wouldn't be required except when making edits directly on the Case page -- which hopefully would be close to what you want.

Other options would involve writing a trigger to recreate this functionality. You could add a custom "Case Comments" text box on the Case page layout that could be accessed by Validation Rules to ensure its populated when the status changes. Your trigger could then perform the same functions as the default Internal Comments field (add a new comment record and clear the field).

Message Edited by Mark Silber on 03-03-2009 06:03 AM