function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TerriWTerriW 

Workflow to Update Date Field

I have not used formulas before and I am trying to create a Workflow to update a date field in Accounts with the Lead Converted Date on creation of the Account.

I want to create a View in Accounts to use for Mail Merges.  The Mail Merge needs to be sent to all new Accounts from Converted Leads and also existing Accounts that need to have the document resent.  I propose that it is a date field so that the view can show all Accounts with this field showing Today's date.  This will then show all the Accounts with the Leads that were converted today and then anyone can also update this field on any other Accounts with Today's date if they need to information resent.

I currently have a checkbox field so that the View is run on all Accounts with the checkbox checked but this is not working for me because I then have to manually uncheck the checkbox for every Account each day so they do not appear in the View for the next day.

I have created the workflow but I am not sure what the formula should be.

Thank You.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
fifedogfifedog

I think you're making this harder than you need to. From what you said based on the create date is your first criteria, that's easy just use the Create date.  Set your criteria to Create Date equals 'today'  (the actual word "Today")

Now to handle your second case where you have to select those that need the document resent use a check box for them.  

In your view you'll have to use the Advanced filter.  See screen shot: 

http://screencast.com/t/TA8uWwwnG

Hope this gets what you need.

All Answers

fifedogfifedog

I think you're making this harder than you need to. From what you said based on the create date is your first criteria, that's easy just use the Create date.  Set your criteria to Create Date equals 'today'  (the actual word "Today")

Now to handle your second case where you have to select those that need the document resent use a check box for them.  

In your view you'll have to use the Advanced filter.  See screen shot: 

http://screencast.com/t/TA8uWwwnG

Hope this gets what you need.

This was selected as the best answer
TerriWTerriW

Thanks. That is basically what I am already doing.  I was just trying to get around not having to uncheck the checkbox.  It is simple enough to do but it is just another thing that the receptionist needs to remember to do so I was looking for a way for the system to handle it without human intervention (and possible error).

However, you have got me thinking about making it harder than I need to.  Instead of a checkbox field for the resending of information I have created a date field so my view looks for Created Date = TODAY or Resend Info = TODAY.  I knew I must have been making it harder than it needed to be, I just could not see what the solution was.

Thank you for you help.

fifedogfifedog

If you want to null out that Resend info box, create a workflow to be where Resend Info equals today.

Then add your time based workflow to be a day after Resend Info date.  Link a field update where you empty that field to this work flow.  This will empty out that field the day after.  This would of been the same logic you'd use if it where a check box.

TerriWTerriW

Thanks.  Having done it the way I have I do not need to empty the resend checkbox any more.  However this does help me on another issue.  Thank you for your help.