function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
hlottehlotte 

Get data from parent object

Hi,

I'm totally newbie on Sales force, and I'm trying something that should be easy.

From a Case, I want to manage a new type of object, named SMS

I created the object and now I want to customize the page, with APEX

So, I created a class

global class NetsizeClass { private SMS__c currentSms; public SMS__c getSms() { return currentSms; } public NetsizeClass(ApexPages.StandardController controller) { if (currentSms == null) currentSms = new SMS__c(); string sms_id = System.currentPageReference().getParameters().get('id'); if (sms_id == null || sms_id == '') { // New SMS currentSms.message__c = 'New SMS '; } else currentSms= [select message__c, status__c, case__c, contact__c from SMS__c where id = :sms_id]; } public void SendSMS() { if (currentSms.id == null || currentSms.id == '')
// New SMS
else
// Existing SMS

upsert currentSms;
... } }

and a Page, that overload the 'New' button in my SMS object

<apex:page standardController="SMS__c" extensions="NetsizeClass"> <apex:sectionHeader title="New SMS" subtitle=""/> <apex:form> <apex:pageBlock title="SMS information"> <apex:pageBlockButtons > <apex:commandButton value="Save" action="{!save}"/> <apex:commandButton value="Send SMS" action="{!SendSMS}"/> </apex:pageBlockButtons> <TABLE> <TR> <TD><B>Message</B></TD> <TD><apex:inputField value="{!sms.Message__c}" id="smsMsg"/></TD> </TR> <TR> <TD><B>Contact</B></TD> <TD><apex:inputField value="{!sms.Contact__c}" id="smsContact"/></TD> </TR> <TR> <TD><B>Case</B></TD> <TD><apex:inputField value="{!sms.Case__c}" id="smsCase"/></TD> </TR> <TR> <TD><B>Case 2</B></TD> <TD><apex:inputField value="{!SMS__c.Case__c}" id="smsCase2"/></TD> </TR> </TABLE> <br/> </apex:pageBlock> </apex:form> </apex:page>

It works fine, when I am on a Case, I see the button 'New SMS' (I customized the layout), that open my custom APEX page.

But I just don't know how to retreive the parent Case information (I'm using the 2 fields Case for my tests):

- the field smsCase is empty, and it's normal as it is linked to {!sms.Case__c} and sms is created in the constructor. But I read in some forums that it's the only way to retreive later the updated values (I want to customize the Edit and View page)

- the field smsCase2 is filled with the id of my Case, but I don't know how to retreive this data from my page.

I also would like to retreive automatically the contact linked in the parent Case, to link it to the SMS. But I think it should be easy to do when I'll have the ID of my Case.

I'm sure that I'm missing something but I searched in so much forums that I'm starting to mix-up everything.

Any help will be welcome :)

Thanks

Hervé

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
wesnoltewesnolte

Hey

This field,

<apex:inputField value="{!SMS__c.Case__c}" id="smsCase2"/> 

Is using the standard controller's instance of the object. Whereas this field,

apex:inputField value="{!sms.Case__c}" id="smsCase"/>

Is using your extensions instance of the object. You need to link the two. This can be done more or less like this,

(sorry about the code getting squashed up. When I click 'Post' it scrunches it up.) 

global class NetsizeClass{ private SMS__c currentSms; public SMS__c getSms() { return currentSms; } public NetsizeClass(ApexPages.StandardController controller) { currentSms = (Sms__c)controller.getSubject(); // this get's the object that the standardcontroller is working with. It links the extension and standardcontroller(sortof) if (currentSms.id == null || currentSms.id == '') { // New SMS currentSms.message__c = 'New SMS '; } else currentSms= [select message__c, status__c, case__c, contact__c from SMS__c where id = :sms_id]; } public void SendSMS() { if (currentSms.id == null || currentSms.id == '')
// New SMS
else
// Existing SMS

upsert currentSms;
... } 

} 

On your page, try to not mix {!SMS__c.field} and {!sms.field}. I know you're probably doing some troubleshooting, but just for future reference;) Otherwise saving can get tricky.

Cheers,

Wes 

Message Edited by wesnolte on 08-11-2009 05:03 AM

All Answers

wesnoltewesnolte

Hey

This field,

<apex:inputField value="{!SMS__c.Case__c}" id="smsCase2"/> 

Is using the standard controller's instance of the object. Whereas this field,

apex:inputField value="{!sms.Case__c}" id="smsCase"/>

Is using your extensions instance of the object. You need to link the two. This can be done more or less like this,

(sorry about the code getting squashed up. When I click 'Post' it scrunches it up.) 

global class NetsizeClass{ private SMS__c currentSms; public SMS__c getSms() { return currentSms; } public NetsizeClass(ApexPages.StandardController controller) { currentSms = (Sms__c)controller.getSubject(); // this get's the object that the standardcontroller is working with. It links the extension and standardcontroller(sortof) if (currentSms.id == null || currentSms.id == '') { // New SMS currentSms.message__c = 'New SMS '; } else currentSms= [select message__c, status__c, case__c, contact__c from SMS__c where id = :sms_id]; } public void SendSMS() { if (currentSms.id == null || currentSms.id == '')
// New SMS
else
// Existing SMS

upsert currentSms;
... } 

} 

On your page, try to not mix {!SMS__c.field} and {!sms.field}. I know you're probably doing some troubleshooting, but just for future reference;) Otherwise saving can get tricky.

Cheers,

Wes 

Message Edited by wesnolte on 08-11-2009 05:03 AM
This was selected as the best answer
hlottehlotte

Wonderful, it's exactly what I was looking for ! :)

I didn't think to have a look to the 'controller' object. I'm going to check its property right now.

Don't worry, I'll remove the field linked to {!SMS__c.field}. I was using it just for my tests.

Thanks a lot for your quick support !! :D