function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Newbie3333Newbie3333 

Formual ISPICKVAL and Date

I am trying to get current date, when any body select status picklist from deferred,declined or closed. I wrote the formula for it but the problem is when resolved date is set to current date but if I open that request after it is closed after two or three days , it is changing my date to current date ( New). The formula is below.

Resolved Date=

IF( OR(ISPICKVAL(Status__c ,'Declined - Business Lead (Closed)'),ISPICKVAL(Status__c ,'Declined - Change Control (Closed)'),ISPICKVAL(Status__c ,'Deferred - Business Lead (Closed)'),ISPICKVAL(Status__c ,'Resolved - CRM (Closed)')),TODAY(), null)

I closed one req on 14th April , resolved date field shows thevalue 14th April but if I open that req after two days the resolved date field change its value from 14th to 16th without doing anything. Please help me.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
pgonzaleznetworkpgonzaleznetwork

Hi,

Your formula says that when the Status is "Closed" (or any of the other values you specified), the field should display Today(). Today() is not a fixed value, so it will continue to update itself as long as the IF criteria is met (status is "Closed").

So, if the Status changes to "Closed" on the 14, the formula displays Today(), but the next day, the Status is still "Closed", so the formula will update and display Today(), which is the current date.

I believe an easier approach is to create a workflow field update.

You can create a text field called "Resolved Date"

Then create a workflow where the criteria is Status equals Closed

Configure a field update on the "Resolved Date" field with Today() function.

Unlike the formula you created, this Today() should be fixed,and should only be updated if the record is edited and meets the criteria again (this depends on your workflow evaluation criteria).

So, even if the record continues to meet the criteria, the Today() should be fixed and shouldn't change.

I hope this helps. 

All Answers

Hi,

Your formula says that when the Status is "Closed" (or any of the other values you specified), the field should display Today(). Today() is not a fixed value, so it will continue to update itself as long as the IF criteria is met (status is "Closed").

So, if the Status changes to "Closed" on the 14, the formula displays Today(), but the next day, the Status is still "Closed", so the formula will update and display Today(), which is the current date.

I believe an easier approach is to create a workflow field update.

You can create a text field called "Resolved Date"

Then create a workflow where the criteria is Status equals Closed

Configure a field update on the "Resolved Date" field with Today() function.

Unlike the formula you created, this Today() should be fixed,and should only be updated if the record is edited and meets the criteria again (this depends on your workflow evaluation criteria).

So, even if the record continues to meet the criteria, the Today() should be fixed and shouldn't change.

I hope this helps. 

This was selected as the best answer
sandeep@Salesforcesandeep@Salesforce

Hi here your formula is getting changed as per time because Today is not a static value and moving as per daily basis. so update the formula.

NIKHIL_SFDCNIKHIL_SFDC

Hi, you can not do it by formula field becoz formula field always refreshes on detail page load(every time when you open the page).

You need to write a workflow.

Criteria should be

IF( OR(ISPICKVAL(Status__c ,'Declined - Business Lead (Closed)'),ISPICKVAL(Status__c ,'Declined - Change Control (Closed)'),ISPICKVAL(Status__c ,'Deferred - Business Lead (Closed)'),ISPICKVAL(Status__c ,'Resolved - CRM (Closed)')),true, false)

and update any date field by TODAY(). in field update.

Please mark as solve if this work for you.

Thanks,

Nikhil

Seems like we  have all provided the same resolution. This thread should be marked as resolved.

Newbie3333Newbie3333

Thank You very much....