function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SunnyButCloudySunnyButCloudy 

Show case items on opportunity level

Hello,

Is there any way to show case information on an opportunity?  I know we can tie cases to accounts, and all of the account's cases show on opportunities.

So I have a two-part question:

1) I'd like to limit an account to only have a certain case record type.  (Can I use validation rules to make this happen?)

2) Show a case field from that record type on an opportunity.  (I'm assuming that can be done via Apex).

Please help...I've been trying to do this but am stuck.  =\

Thank you x 100 in advance.

What I've done so far:

1) Created a lookup on Opportunity object called "Related Case".

2) Created a formula field on Opportunity object to pull in the Status of the "Related Case".

Still having problem: How can I pre-populate the Case that has a certain record type in the lookup field? 

KalyanLKalyanL

As you have already created a lookup that is good.  I think you can write a trigger to update this field at the time of creating a case for the oppurtunity.  There are two ways of accessing the oppurtunity.  Either from the Account or from OpprtunityContactRole. 

Thanks for the reply kalyanrm.  We're not using contact roles so I would have to link account,opp,case together.  Do you know how i'd be able to write an after update/insert trigger on case?