function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Newbie10Newbie10 

Account ownership change

I have a usecase where owners should not be changed for standarad Account object. I put a validation rule for these. and it works as well.But then came across this statement

If the Mass Transfer tool is used to change the ownership of multiple records, however, validation rules won’t run on those records.

what does it mean? Does it mean if i use mass transfer tool my validation rule will fail?

I should go for a trigger in this case?

If a trigger is there a way to understand the context is 'mass transfer tool' .so that i can trigger only in that context?

vbsvbs
@Newbie - I think it refers to Administer > Data Management > Mass Transfer Records. This is a quick way for the org. admin to change ownership of records from one user to other, usually used in cases like if an employee has left the organization or has been inactivated. As long as you do not allow standard users access to this functionality your validation rules should be ok.
Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC

Hi NewBie,

"If the Mass Transfer tool is used to change the ownership of multiple records, however, validation rules won’t run on those records"

This line only means that the validation rules will not run on these records at the time of change of ownership.

If you make any other changes to these records, the validation rules will apply.

It doesn't mean that the validation rule will fail.

Team WorksTeam Works

Hi,

Is there a way to fire a validation rule during a mass transfer using the tool?

Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC

Hi Namo,

The Data Loader and the Force.com API version 7 and later run validation rules so you can try updating Account onwers  using this application.

http://ap1.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/data_loader.htm

Team WorksTeam Works

Many Thanks Sonam!!